Dreadbox Typhon

yeah, this is the biggest don’t-need in recent memory, but at the price I figure I’m losing money if I don’t buy it. So now I can’t get the pre-order link to work at Dreadbox’s web site. I’ve tried a couple of browsers on my Mac, but in that page with the list of countries, none of the countries expands, so there’s no further step to take to place the order. What am I missing?

EDIT: ok, I’ve pre-ordered it by finding it at a vendor’s web site, not at Dreadbox’s.

1 Like

Our minds do weird things to convince ourselves something is a good, necessary idea :wink:

3 Likes

Inception. Leonardo DiCaprio works for Dreadbox.

I’m convinced that your idea is neither good nor necessary, but weird.

I think that s an applicable motto for life in general.

2 Likes

Mind blown. I have the LP in my record collection and I had to go and check. Whoa, it’s true!

2 Likes

I’m feeling a bit late to the party on this one… but add me to the growing list of folk who are impressed/intrigued by it. There is such stiff competition these days so whether it makes the cut by the next time I find myself in a synth-buying situation remains to be seen.

Does seem weird to have an announcement for something new without an accompanying Loopop video… I know tha Sonicstate alluded to a review forthcoming but it seems they’re still playing catch-up with Arturia plugin bundles from 6 months ago but hopefully not too long before we get a more detailed walk-through.

2 Likes

3 Modulatoren mit 4 verschiedenen Modi (LFO, EG, Random, Parameter Step-Sequenzer) und 14 Destinations

I never knew I could read German.

5 Likes

That is, because this is actually “Germish”. :yum:

German would be: Modulatorinnen and Synthesizerinnen to be fully political correct. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Owner’s manual now available at Dreadbox’s web site.

6 Likes

For Firmware version 1.0, MIDI over USB will not be available. This is expected on September 2020.

1 Like

Mod Destinations

CV Pitch of both VCO
CV1 Pitch of VCO 1
CV2 Pitch of VCO 2
WAVE Waveform of oscillators (as shown on the WAVE knob)
CUT Filter cut off frequency
RESON Filter resonance amount
EGL Level of filter envelope
VCA AMP level
FX1 When is set to distortion, this will affect both GAIN and MIX . When on BIT CRUSH,
it will target the “BIT” parameter
FFM Filter FM amount
FX2 FX2 MIX amount
DLAY This is for the FX3. It will target the delay time or the reverb size
FX3 FX3 MIX amount

Current (July 2020) list of Midi CC Parameter (will get updated with every OS Patch):

TARGET VALUE CC No#
MOD WHEEL 0-127 1
CC2 0-127 2
OSC2 OFFSET 0-127 8
CUTOFF 0-127 4
RESONANCE 0-127 3
WAVESHAPE 0-127 6
GLIDE 0-127 5
VCO LEVEL 0-127 7
FILTER EG ATTACK 0-127 23
FILTER EG DECAY 0-127 24
FILTER EG SUSTAIN 0-127 25
FILTER EG RELEASE 0-127 26
FILTER TIME 0-127 27
EG LEVEL 0-127 28
VCA EG ATTACK 0-127 29
VCA EG DECAY 0-127 30
VCA EG SUSTAIN 0-127 31
VCA EG RELEASE 0-127 33
VCA EG TIME 0-127

2 Likes

Is the presets only for the FX or you can save the complete synth patch ?

Looking at the Powering Considerations section of the manual it suggests that USB connection to computer is probably going to be noisy. Maybe using the MIDI DIN ports and no USB to computer is a better option then?
I wonder how it will work when the editor becomes available?

Powering considerations
Even though the Typhon is an analog synthesizer, it can be powered with a simple USB cable. Giving the unit
some extra mobility, you can just use a power bank and play anywhere (with a 20.000 mAh power bank you
could power and play the unit for up to 60 hours).
Most homes nowadays have at least a dozen or so USB cables and power adapters lying around (from smartphones, computers, printers, and other devices), so we didn’t think there was a point including one with the
Typhon and adding to the environmental waste.
So, you’re thinking, “Can I use any USB power supply?”
Yes, but there are some things you need to consider. Not having a dedicated power adapter means that depending on the USB power supply quality or your connection, could result in a dirty synth or noise floor. You
can easily avoid those situations though, by following these simple rules:

• When powering the Typhon from a computer, if you use a DAW to process the unit’s audio, a ground loop
    can be created, causing a noticeable hum. In that case, you should power the Typhon from a different power
    supply, and not from the same computer that you’re running the DAW on.
  • Using a very long USB cable can also cause line noise. For cleaner sounding performance it’s also better to
    use a USB cable that has a ferrite bead installed.
  • Make sure your USB power adapter is rated for at least 500mA
  • Poor quality USB power adapters should be avoided.
  • And as mentioned above, when using a power bank, make sure it’s a good quality one. You can also power
    a keyboard controller with the same power bank
4 Likes

My best educated guess, for the complete Synth Patch. See in the videos.

Synthesizer.gr have told me they will get their delivery of Typhons today ready for immediate dispatch with free international shipping (Thomann have pre-sold their entire first batch, which are also due today).

2 Likes

Mine’s just shipped from these guys. Will be here on Monday!
Very much looking forward to getting it.

4 Likes

Did you order from Thomann?

https://www.synthesizer.gr/dreadbox-typhon coming from it’s country of birth. Free shipping. Winner winner Dolmades dinner. :smile:

5 Likes

:joy::joy:

Can’t wait to get mine, Monday, fingers crossed!

2 Likes