Dreadbox Medusa

The randomiser interests me but hopefully Polyend will update the lfo shapes to include random. Also it’s not clear if the lfos can be key synced perusing the manual.
You can loop the envelopes to create lfos but it’s not quite the same and you lose the envs for other duties.
Could become a cult classic me thinks.

1 Like
2 Likes

The output on the unit is mono??
So all the chords I could play on it will be mono? :frowning:

analog synth with no FX = mono

3 Likes

I like his channel.
It’s ‘clean’. Not mixed with people arranging items , making tea or hand clapping themselves with high fives and sfx.

I’ve activeky started blocking certain ‘influencers’ because they annoy the &£@& out of me , but when they get popular it’s harder than just blocking their feed.

I don’t make these videos , I’d annoy myself and likely many others. How many times would anyone want to hear ‘and this is yet another machine that shouldn’t have been released yet ‘

Medusa looks nice and it’s good to see they’ve done a few updates already.

3 Likes

Lengthy and satisfying :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks my friend!

1 Like

My moog superdelay is living proof of the wisdom of drunken purchases. I’ll ignore some of the crap I’ve bought though.

the improvements look good , but i’m surprised by some of the new things (pads are now velocity sensitive )

i don’t have one but the list seems to resolve many of the gripes i’ve seen , especially sequencing each voice separately.

Been interested in it for quite a while, finally yesterday I just went for it, the new firmware proved there is serious support behind it. The Ben and Gear “review” and the videos from Dreadbox channel helped in convincing me it sounds real good, the first demos online were quite underwhelming that’s true.
Being a mono analog synth, it def needs a stereo effect to help it shine, but I can already say after a couple of hours of noodling that it’s the most impressive synth I’ve had in my possession. The playability / relatioship between UX/sounds is next level, sounds excellent as you can expect from Dreadbox crafting. Let’s see how it goes after more time, but so far playing it or programming it promise to be the most fun I actually had with an instrument, after tweaking my modular but that’s hardly comparable.

6 Likes

You messed with the randomiser yet?
I have the Seq and the randomiser on that is pretty impressive so am very interested in the Medusa randomising the patterns but more importantly the synth parameters…

not yet, thought I’d rather mess with the randomisation after I am more familiar with the whole set of modulations and what I can come up with them. 5 lfos (all of them freely assignable) and 5 enveloppes (3 freely assignable), wow.

1 Like

Yeah that’s quite a bit of modulation, that’s why I reckon the randomiser could be mental.
Just hope it randomises everything on a sound…
Enjoy fella :+1:t3:

1 Like

The Medusa often catches me out. I know it’s paraphonic but it sure seems to get very close to fully polyphonic at times with some of the examples I hear. And a really great looking update that is too.

For anyone on the fence, I noticed that Gear4Music has this on sale at £819. Not a huge saving but cheapest around that I could see.

Interested to read/see more of the grid capabilities. Could do without going down that rabbit hole and coming out with GAS mind you haha…

3 Likes

there was a b-stock somewhere else for just 799 Eur …

2 Likes

Probably the mpe let’s players get expression on each note helping each sound a bit different, I’m sure if you set up the filter in certain ways the paraphony would become quite obvious though.

I think the medusa has one VCA for every osc, maybe that’s why it sounds more “polyphonical” than a classic paraphonic mono.

I think you’re right. Nick Batt from Sonicstate put it well by saying its like full polyphony up to the filter where it becomes paraphonic (by sharing the filter).

Medusa is growing on me though. Would love to know what the firmware development roadmap is. v1.1 looks like a great update that brings things in line with what we expected from launch. I wonder what else Polyend have up their sleeve for the sequencing side of things.

1 Like

Did any of you guys hear warm ‘classical’ sounds from Medusa?
I mean great basses, leads and such?
I am asking cause I am on a verge of buying it, but didn’t really hear any sounds to really want it…

1 Like

Why would you buy it if you don’t like how it sounds? To be fair I might be just about the only person who hasn’t heard it sound shit, different strokes and all but I’ve really liked most the demos I’ve heard from it and i’d definitely say I’ve heard warm patches. I might get slated for not having golden ears but I really don’t get the beef people have with this synth at all, been gassing for it since I stumbled upon it

2 Likes