Dreadbox Antiphon - DIY Eurorack Module

An interesting new DIY Eurorack Module from Dreadbox. Reminds me a little bit of the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator. It has 8 sine waves, 2 of which can be used as LFO’s. A built in VCA, LP & HP Filters, Spring Reverb Tank, and an external input that can accept guitar level signals. The price seems good, 165.00€, or around $180 US. I have been wanting to learn to solder and do my own builds. Maybe this will push me in that direction.

https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/antiphon/

6 Likes

not to mention those blurred out modules :wink:

edit: spoke too soon, thought your link was to the youtube video

2 Likes

Here is the Youtube vid.

1 Like

I came across this today too, and it reminded me of the Verbos harmonic osc, but at a much more affordable price…I’m not particularly handy with a soldering iron, but I’m very tempted to make this my first kit. It seems like a good entry point for a novice build. I’ve owned a Mk1 Nyx before and it was a fantastic little synth, in fact it was the nyx that got me into semi-modular and then full on modular. Amazing reverb too.

Edit: I’m also intrigued by these colourful new modules…

2 Likes

So i take it one thing you can do with this is use if as an additive synth, with 8 frequency controlled (using CV or slider) sine waves. It doesn’t look like there is CV control on the levels of the separate sine waves (just level knobs), but you could put VCAs external.

The kit is all through hole not surface mount. Dreadbox has been moving to surface mount with their more recent production stuff. If you want to do the kit, make the move, 'cuz with Dreadbox kits, once they’re gone that’s it, there is no re-release.

Antiphon Construction Manual

1 Like

Having looked at the manual I’m starting to have second thoughts…I’ve not done much soldering since I left high school, and as someone who can barely carry a cup of tea without spilling it, it may just not be in my particular wheel house, dyspraxia and all. I know I’d be overcome with pride if I managed to somehow put this kit together sans mistakes, but equally I get frustrated when pages in a book I’m reading get stuck together…in another life maybe.

3 Likes

I am also on the fence after looking at the manual. Although, since it is all through hole, I think I might take it on. At least purchase it before it runs out, and stash it for a winter project. I think it would be cool if they made a desktop synth of this, maybe make it the size of the Nyx and Erebus. Maybe add a wave folder. I really think that something like this would sell well. It is just outside the box of your standard desktop synths. And I like what Dreadbox are doing. I used to have Erebus, and was a really nice sounding synth. Nice vibe to it.

2 Likes

I love the idea of DIY, but have never soldered a PCB yet; I still have an Axoloti sitting around waiting to be turned into something stunning.

The Hades and lil’Erebus kits I have came direct from Dreadbox or were built by someone else… so I guess it’ll just depend on being able to find an Antiphon pre-made one day. It sounds lovely too.

2 Likes

Yea I think I’d defo buy a desktop version. I’m really trying not to be purchasing things that ultimately I don’t really need, I’ve cut down my studio to exactly what I need to write productively and have it set up in a way which is playable…but I would totally love the newer Nyx, or even an Abyss (always loved the sound of that poly synth, had a very pretty and unique way about it). I have a soft spot for dreadbox stuff for sure.

2 Likes

I’m definitely in the same boat as you and others who echo this thought. I don’t really need this, but it definitely has that dreadbox cool factor. Seems like it could be a really nice unit (you can make it into a desktop version by also purchasing the 42 hp cardboard case they sell). One of my biggest concerns would be lack of CV producers, since I got away from Eurorack. I do have a Microfreak though, but not sure if that would be taking full advantage of the CV inputs on this device. Then again, the price is nice, and DIY can be fun…

3 Likes

Which can easily turn into an obsession…

2 Likes

Oh absolutely, I often like to think of myself as above those trivial desires, but the truth is, in my limited dreadbox experience, my nyx was the absolute focal point of my then semi-modular environment…I had an M32 and several elektron boxes Midi synced, but I’ll never forget the sublime duophonic brassy, bass heavy tones coupled with that beautiful reverb…played a fair few improv gigs using that set up and will always have a special place in my heart. Is a shame that the antiphon is currently kit only, as I would snap up a desktop version ( or potentially buy a kit and pay some lucky elektronaught to build it on my behalf…)

Talk about mojo…

2 Likes

I built a pre-release version of the Antiphon for Dreadbox and can say that the build is very straightforward. It took me probably 4-5 hours to solder it all up but I did it without a manual (it wasn’t out yet) and taking photos to document. Dreadbox aimed to make a kit with few different types of components to make it a bit more straightforward - you’ll see that there are a lot of the same types of resistors, for example. As with a lot of kits, tuning takes a bit of finesse and patience but honestly I launched right into this thing without tuning it when I finished the build and had a good deal of fun just making complex drone sounds for the first few hours.

If you have built a Lil Erebus I can say that this is about the same amount of solder points but is much more linear. You’re building the same oscillator 8 times. For new kit builders I’d say to get comfortable with tight clearances between joints, or at least a finer solder tip. Having an adjustable iron is also helpful so you don’t burn up pots with too much heat.

it’s a really interesting instrument. The last two oscillators can be used as LFO’s with an extremely wide range. I had great success in running these into each of the filters at different rates and getting some really wild spacy sounds.

I really ought to put up some YouTube videos. If you have any questions fire away.

5 Likes

There is CV input and output for each oscillator but if you connect to the CV output it disables the audio for that oscillator. You could use each oscillator as an LFO (though the last 2 oscillators have a wider range and are intended as LFO’s) with the level knob as the width of the LFO and the slider as the frequency.

1 Like

Speaking of those blurred out modules, I can just about make out Ataxia, Dystopia and Utopia. I’m really liking the coloured panels. Hoping to hear more info from Dutch Modular Fest.

2 Likes

Wow, the kit is so cheap. I’m very tempted to pick it up, even just to build and sell on so I can get some more soldering experience…

1 Like

PEEP THEM COLORS :eyes:

6 Likes

Can’t help but wonder if Moog is the one influencing this with the grandma and matriarch.

It’s interesting that a classic company like Moog is potentially subtly shifting some paradigms.

6 Likes

Hmm, those all seem very useful. If available as DIY kits, I could be swayed to the dark side again. But probably not… I shouldn’t… must resist.

1 Like

All of them are under 100 euros

3 Likes