Dr. Octatrack or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the DAW

People are weird mate :joy:really weird.

1 Like

It can be a goal!

6 Likes

I like the idea of not caring about saving samples with names until afterward on the computer. Might try this with the new project Iā€™m working on. :+1:

4 Likes

So yes, I flip flopped. Now I just quickly go back to my T1 (set to flex recording), set down a rec trig (usually itā€™s set to 16 or 32 steps, set to record the main), play the sequence back and then quickly save the file (func+bank when in rec setup, which I didnā€™t know until another user pointed it out!) and then move on and continue tweaking where I left off.

Something funny I realized about naming everything: I was going through some old sounds stored in my Octatrack and even though everything is named, I still end up playing it to hear what it sounds like anyway :man_shrugging:

So yeah with this new method I quickly got a good ten or so interesting sounds and a very efficient workflow.

4 Likes

The fickle mind of the electronic music gear user huh?

4 Likes

And then just save sample to that track? Yeah, simple enough. I like that. I still enjoy my longer evolving stuff completely disconnected from the OT sequencerā€¦or even the OT itself, but for 16-128 step stuff this is a great way to bounce down stuff.

Yeah I just save it to self. Iā€™m going to record over the rec buffer very soon anyway so it doesnā€™t really matter. All my samples are saved in my project directory.

Some of us are coming from the other way around, Iā€™ve used DAWā€™s for 17 years, they donā€™t inspire me easily anymore.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not the brainless i was talking about! :wink:

1 Like

(Probably the deepest DAW on the market)

3 Likes

But supposedly simple to use right? I am only going from what people have said, I have never tried it. I didnā€™t mean simple as necessarily meaning feature light.

1 Like

I can sit down on the couch with a moleskin notebook and a nice 2B pencil and start sketching out ideas; words, drawings and diagrams.

Everyone is telling me I should be using Visio on my laptop as it is far more capable and has umpteen features I should be using.

2 Likes

Reminds me of something I read that said nasa spent millions developing a pen that works properly in zero gravity. the Russians used a pencil

7 Likes

they also probably couldnā€™t afford to spend that much because millions of taxpayers were in forced labor camps

Reaper is the only DAW Iā€™ve ever used, bought it 1.5 years ago, basically use it as a live recorder, but when I need to tweak something I know the functionality is there and I just have to find it.

What Iā€™m trying to say if I can do it you can do it because I know nothing about DAWs. Also itā€™s so cheap. Just donā€™t expect to use it to generate sounds (which I donā€™t think you are?) and youā€™re good.

1 Like

I also donā€™t go back to old projects in their original form. My method is to export each track, stem, and sound in itā€™s full length. Then I burn the audio stems to a DVD or two for storage.

This way I can always pull up the audio and mix it differently or provide parts for a remix.

Sometimes I listen to old tracks that I didnā€™t think were great at the time. Then I realize I made a gem that just needs to be mixed and mastered a little better to shine. This way I can do that and not regret that I didnā€™t save the audio stems.

1 Like

Very reliable hardware!

3 Likes

The only reliable vintage hardware. Thereā€™s a shop near me that does the Moleskin ones with the dotted paper for about Ā£5 a5, no idea how theyā€™re so cheap.

Not quite as upmarket as a Moleskin pad, but I have been using these for years, then stopped about 15 years ago, but I recently started using them again. Less than Ā£1 but a stone cold classic :laughing:

4 Likes

It definitely is. Reaper is awesome!