Downloading drum packs to MD

I have been using the factory drums and am considering downloading drum packs. I understand I will need the TM-1. What should I know, prepare and study knowing the complicated workflow nature of the machines? Is there a particular protocol? is there a particular organization? what is the most optimal filing of drums inside the MD?

Thank you for any help and suggestion.

1 Like

there is no need for the TM-1. you just need Elektron C6 and a sound card/midi interface that supports Sysex. you even donā€™t need any sound packs. you can upload your own samples, if accurate prepared. the MD converts all samples automaticly, but itā€™s always better to do it yourself, to keep the size/lenght low as possible. all things you should know about samples you can read in the MD User manual

2 Likes

thank you for responding. appreciate.

what does that mean. is it that it has to be 16 bits or less and at lower than 44k sample rate?

meaning that MD compresses file?

newish to the lingo. I am reading the manual and I am not at the sampling section yet. but will read up.

Thank you MDMnM

The sample engine of the MDUW plays back itā€™s contents at at 12bit, so putting in samples at higher bitdepths is wasting space, you have approx. 2,5mb so being smart and efficient with preparing samples is useful!

2 Likes

actually the Machinedrum automagically converts all samples to 12 bit mono 44.1khz.

with one exception: if you prepare your sample at 22.5khz, the Machinedrum will maintain that. Thereby achieving a 33 percent memory saving (as the bit rate is the same at 12 bit). Anything above, such as 32khz, the Machinedrum will auto-convert upwards to 44.1khz, not downwards to 22.5khz.

talking of Machinedrum sample packs, i have recently gone through the 24 sample packs that come with the Machinedrum multi-partition drive, and made a personal favourite sample pack out of that for convenience, choosing ā€œthe best-ofā€ each of the 24, so to speak. If anyone is interested, i will upload it.

5 Likes

Iā€™m interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you and I will be interested in your once I figure this process out.

Regarding conversion of bits assuming packs are higher bit and rates is the C2 software capable to perform that function or do I import all the samples into a DAW ( Ableton) and convert?

honestly you do not have to convert a single thing dude.

as regards the 22.5khz option, donā€™t worry about that.

the best thing you could do for longer chords is use Audacity to make them a smaller length in time, and apply a simple fade out. then export at 16 bit 44.1 khz stereo. The Machinedrum will automatically convert it after receiving it.

but to save time in the actual transferring, then yes it is easier to have a smaller filesize, so export at mono, 12 bit if you have the option.

do you have the tm-1 midi interface?

if so, here is the manual: https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Elektron_TM-1_Users_Guide.pdf

and the firmware for Windows 7 and 8 (no firmware required for osx)
https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Elektron_TM-1_1.05.zip

the C6 transfer software is accessed now via the A4 page.
https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Elektron_C6_MAC_AND_WIN_1.51.zip

Open C6, select config and choose your midi port.

drag a sample into the window.

Go to the File Manager on the MD, select Receive, it says waitingā€¦

go send the file from C6 yay :slight_smile:

Note: if you try and send a file that is larger than the available memory, even if it would fit in the memory after the Machinedrum converts it, that might upset the MD system - the received file will sound like a click, and all files received after that will sound like a click.

Switch off and on again if this happens. To flash the P-Ram or something.

2 Likes

no not yet. plan on getting the TM used at some point.

Really new to digital gears besides the LXR which I have not loaded new samples to, always concerned that I will mess up OS or something.

Thank you for the links and instruction.

I would check that out, wiped my MDUW immediately after getting it.

I mean its User Wave not Factory wave right? HA

But yeah checking your best of would be interesting.

1 Like

yes, as most elektron users are so individualistic, the first thing most will do is go wipe the drive of any content ā€¦ so, the idea of actually using some of the factory samples seemed like quite a revolutionary and novel idea.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: more so out of concern and inexperience ā€¦seems to me with the parameters available for fine tuning has been good enough for nowā€¦ will venture into the adventurous route eventually. For now I would like to learn the workflow of the MD.

1 Like

Well, the OS of the Machinedrum wonā€™t be hurt by importing any sample. If something tweaks (aka ā€œPopping the Stackā€ in programmer leet-speak), the imported sample sounds like a click, and then any other attempt to import a sample will sound like a click.

But that potential issue is merely to do with the flash memory and is completely not a worry, just restart.

Also, some samples from about 4 years ago, Wav format, will somehow just not work on the Machinedrum, also sounding like a click, but the system is not freaked out, it just doesnā€™t understand the byte order. This is fixed by importing the sample to say Audacity, then simply exporting the sample. Or, compressing the sample into a zip file then opening the zip file and using the sample from there is potentially another workaround/fix.

2 Likes

i convert bass drums and other stuff with low frequencies always to 22khz. samples with high frequencies, such as hi hats, to 44khz, to retain the brightness. also the sample lenght is important. keep them short as possible. i have a MK1 with only 2 mb ROM by the way

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience and encouraging me to dare :slight_smile: much appreciated. This going to be my homework and I am sure I will have questions.

Ha yes indeed, Iā€™ll hold your hand if I want to, thank you very much.

Love the Volca Sample factory stuff though, thats a solid kit.

I put a pack of Yoshi samples on my MDUW think thats it.

Did you upload by any chance? I havenā€™t noticed anythingā€¦

Next time let me know 10 years ago, wouldā€™ve saved me a lot of time degrading samples instead of placebo space in my MDUW! :tumbler_glass::+1:t3:

aforementioned sample pack selection zip file ā€¦

silicone_librarian.zip (1.4 MB)

pro tips:

unzip file, there will be a folder named silicon_librarian ā€¦ open the c6 utility app, drag all wav files from silicon_librarian folder to c6 screen, set Config midi out port correctly, connect midi lead to md.

open md Global (any of the 8 available),
select an empty bank [Global File Samplebanks]
then click No twice and choose Sample MGR (sample manager)
set to ā€˜receiveā€™;

Whilst in the Sample Manager window, for the location to start receiving on,
arrow up one above sample slot 1; - this is important for the file structure to be transferred.

The slot above slot 1 is titled ā€œORGā€ (for Import Samples to Original Location - i arranged the samples in groups in the bank conveniently and thus any machinedrum will recognise this meta data)

Ensure that the option ā€œReceiveā€ is selected, rather than ā€œSendā€.
Now press Yes button, and the Machinedrum will be waiting for data.

goto computer, select all of the wav files in the window

click Send

you will view the data activity.

wait a while ā€¦ 25 minutes

hey presto it works, or if not then restart and try again.

the files are named for convenient reference also, and the name for each one shall be recognised by the Machinedrum if you select:

ā€œSend SPS-1UW Nameā€ in the Config windowā€¦
be sure to select this option before sending files from c6 utility app to the Machinedrum.

I suppose also select SDS Handshake although i do not know what difference this makes.

Do not select the middle option ā€œUse Extended SDSā€, as this is for a different Elektron machine.

5 Likes

here guys, i share a couple of samples from my own library with you. the pack consists of drums and lots of cool chord & synth sounds. two of the kick drums i have created from scratch with my Dreadbox Hades and the JoMox MBase 11 kickdrum Modul. the Roland 689 folder has 3 presets/kit file for the MD inside. have fun with it.

Stefans_MD_Sample_Pack.rar (5.7 MB)

6 Likes

Great Sample Pack.
Many thanks !