Don't Sleep on the Model Samples

No… What I’m saying is play with the models

I haven’t had any issues with jitter when recording USB audio. I did have an issue months ago where some tracks would stream at two octaves above where they were supposed to be, but after the last update, I haven’t seen that issue again

1 Like

The new electribe basically.
Simple, stupidly fast, and un breakable :slight_smile:
I’m convinced that you can do some real hit with both models!

3 Likes

As an M:S fan, I do get why it’s overlooked:

1. We’re on an enthusiast forum, and enthusiasts tend to go for more powerful machines (OT, DT, MPCs, even straight up DAW), not the entry-level ones
  2. It’s not the newest Elektron (hi M:C!)
  3. Hardware sampler machines under $500 aren’t as uncommon in 2022 as, for example, affordable FM drums
  4. It’s a sample player, not a sampler, and the pads are too stiff for proper finger drumming. Change either of these and I think the M:S could legitimately be a Classic. Instead, it’s merely Very Good in a sea of other Very Good bits of hardware
3 Likes

Thanks I heard that USB Audio doesn’t stem out each track though - just the stereo out. So unless I am wrong that makes it not really a great option for me. Oh well, for the price it is a nice intro to Elektron sequencing.

You can just record it 6 times on a 4 bar loop?

4 bars is not really enough to me since half the point of the Elektron sequencer is using the probability and P-Locks to keep the sequence evolving. So I’d personally do more like 48-64 bars and it’s not really worth the extra work for me to stem it out that way.

Sometimes not buying gear is the best option in my case.

1 Like

I guess everyone has their own feeling in what is or isn’t worth the time.

I personally would have no issue sampling that into 60 bar on my MPC, muting the tracks and doing it again, as that’s what I do already on my Overbridge enabled Digitone and non Overbridge Wavestate alike

Yep, I personally would so there we go. I’m getting rid of a decent amount of gear though so I am pretty picky at this point about what comes in.

I just put my M:S to sleep (sold). Now I’m trying to decide if I need to go Digitakt. The M:S was fun but I didn’t like browsing or loading samples. Seemed cumbersome. Also I’ve noticed in Digitakt videos that it seems to have a “sound” that I like. That kind of thing can go a long way in terms of motivation me. But the M:S sound didn’t do anything for me one way or the other.

Sounds like you’d enjoy the Digitakt.
Bigger screen, more capabilities. And still a great punchy, hifi sound. :thup:

2 Likes

I’m very close to getting one. What I’m wanting to do is grab short bits of audio coming out of my Count to 5 that I run various things into and then sequence away. But I’d like the whole process to be fairly quick.

2 Likes

digi will be great for that, you just can’t go wrong with the Digitakt!

Great. Now I want one. What about Model Cycles? Is that going to be a classic too?

1 Like

yes

That’s always been my take on the M:S as well.

1 Like

i see it like an akai S20, only fail it cannot sample but that’s not too hard…

1 Like

I slept on my Digitakt once and woke up with a bent encoder. I wouldn’t recommend sleeping on ANY Elektron devices.

9 Likes

Also dont sleep in the subway…

1 Like

I have awoken!

First impressions - hooked up to my MPC (the way I run every synth) its like an awesome extension of the machine.

Selecting a track makes it chromatically playable on the MPC pads (which are far better to strike) regardless of the mode and the knobs of the M:S give playability and tweaking that’s just not there on the MPC when running a drum program.

And then there’s the step sequencer, which is way better than the MPC step sequencer and right in front of you.

3 Likes