Dogs!

Oh my. Where are you 2 in this photo?

1 Like

This is Meatball :zzz:

3 Likes

It is interesting to ponder about the effect animals have on us sitting there making music - the role or value of their presence and interruptions.

My dog is often lying under the desk, and when he is asleep, it has this calming effect on me. When he wakes up, or comes in, he interrupts me. This initially feels like a nuisance but regularly is a valuable reminder to have a break, literally go for a walk, which can help the creative process or help when you are stuck with something. Having this living thing there, expressing its affection for you, also puts things into perspective.

I just watched a video of a talk by sound designer Edmund Eagan, where someone made a comment referring to a cat and he suddenly can’t help it and shares a cat story (at 9:20) https://youtu.be/gF9E4T7ziJg

He describes the repeated interaction he has with the cat in his studio, always pressing the same key on his instrument. This causes damage to the instrument but the way he tells it gives it away and he actually says something like “a small price for the love you get”.

I am still figuring how much I value the interruptions by the dog while I make music. Since he is young, I spend so much time with him that I am often too tired to make music. I am however pretty sure that at the end, despite the occasional frustration to be interrupted, the affection you receive, outweighs everything else… hope so, anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the condolences and kindness :heart:

5 Likes

Ah shit that must be very tough. I’m really sorry for you loss Daren.

1 Like

what camera and lens is that?

My guy used to lay down by my feet when I was working in the studio area. Or he’d come walking in while I was mixing and nudge his head under my hand for pets. I made this two days after he died

Although it was somewhat cathartic I couldn’t even go in the studio for almost 3 months after that.

4 Likes

The camera is Sony A7 and the lenses are Sony SEL28F20 FE and Zeiss Sonnar T ZA 55/1.8 Sony FE

thanks

The creatively name State Forest State Park in Colorado, between Fort Collins and Steamboat.

1 Like

Yeah, their influence is constant, just like everything else in our environment. They are definitely work, but for me, their presence is such a positive. I dread to think how my life would be without the need to get outside with them, and all their love. We have cats, love them too, but they are very different from dogs. Dogs are almost all positive to me.

2 Likes

16 Likes

Dogsitting these two for a week for a friend. The bassett is imaginatively named Bassett and the other one is called “Lady”…???

14 Likes

She grew a bit :slight_smile:

13 Likes

OctaDog

10 Likes

Recent addition: Bootsy, aka Boots Magoots

19 Likes

My Dog - 18 months old - Wire Haired Vizsla - massive soft lump :slight_smile:

16 Likes

My wife got the little one about 6 months ago, Lana, she is a miniature pinscher approx 18 months old, it was quite difficult to get a photo as she is constantly moving when awake :joy:

Junior, the other one is about 7 now, he is totally chilled most of the time and Lana is always play fighting him, which he tends to ignore, she will attack him at any time, he just walks away with her hanging off him :laughing: However when they get to the park the tables are turned, and he wants to play, he taunts her by running around her like a bullet train, she can’t catch him and she suddenly becomes a bit of a chicken, staying close to my wife apart from the occasional furious lunge at him, it is quite hilarious. :joy:

17 Likes

tonight has been rough :frowning_face:

3hrs ago my 14 year old kelpie/collie cross, Jessie, collapsed and was un-responsive prompting an emergency trip to the vet where she was diagnosed with tumours (cancerous) on her heart and spleen which had resulted in internal bleeding sending her into shock with a lot of pain

needless to say i had to make the decision that she be put to sleep, rather than send her through a rollercoaster of surgery, blood transfusions and her remaining months undergoing chemo with the ultimate outcome unavoidable

RIP

14 Likes

Sorry to hear man, must be difficult