Does the OT stay in time when stopping and starting

Wasn’t sure how to put the title in all honesty.

I’m not able to check this right now, so was hoping someone could chime in with an answer.

If clock and transport are being received, and I press stop on the OT and choose another project (which is set to receive clock and transport), then press play on said project, will it automatically be in time with the other device? Could I just hit it and it’ll automatically be In sync?

Thanks

If you hit play at the right moment it will…

1 Like

Right so it won’t pick it up automatically then?

No.
Another difference with Ableton.
It can be pretty useful, sometimes. Or I just got used to this.

You can make the OT receive transport signal, though.
And you can use left and right arrow to synchronize your machine to another one, DJ style :wink:

OK thanks. That’s what I had assumed, but wanted to check there wasn’t some magical song position voodo I can access.

OTs Arranger sends and receives midi song position pointer.

2 Likes

A ERM muliticlock can do this for you

1 Like

A little bit expensive for my needs. Thanks though.

1 Like

Unless you need Pick Up Machines, they don’t work well when the OT is slaved to ext clock

This is doable with a Start midi message (FA).
It is the midi message used for transport Start.
Some MPC can send it, DAWs should be able to send it, independently from transport.

A midi processor can map it from any midi message. I used it to resync regularly a synth arp, which was getting out of sync after parameters tweaking.

Should work perfectly with OT, if the message is sent right on time.

What device/instrument is clocking your OT?

1 Like

I have several sequencers running at the same time and often stop and restart one manually. Not a big deal, really. Depends mostly on the quality of the button: some are hard to push but the Elektron Mk2 buttons are very reactive. Of course if you have a spare track on a running sequencer and a midi processor it’s the perfect solution but at a certain cost.

In this scenario it’s the TR8s mate.

Ok, asked ‘cause if the source would happen to support Ableton Link (eg Ableton or MPC Live) you could just use an old iPhone with the Link-to-MIDI app to sync your OT.

1 Like

That would be a pretty ingenious idea!

If the TR8s sends Prog Changes while changing patterns you can map them to a Start message + a Prog Change > instant play for OT. Midi processor needed.

You can start / change any OT pattern on the fly without delay if you send a Prog Change followed by a Start message.