Does the Digitone/Digitakt sound the same when you open Ableton or a Daw?

Yeah but I do have the post FX track for both, which kind off removes the whole point of multitracking but yeah.

It’s a shame I am having so much fun making tunes and beats but recording is just not a good experience…

1 Like

I might be wrong. But my roommate uses a deepmind 6 + midi keyboard and when he creates it sounds identical to when he records. And everytime I try to record it just sounds a bit sad: could be the headroom but the whole.reason I got the Digitakt is that I do not want to spend that much time behind a pc :smiley: then I would be better off getting a push 2 I feel like

Unless you are doing something wrong the main outs via USB (either Overbridge or class complaint audio) should sound exactly the same as when you listening to them with headphones on the device itself or via the analog outputs.

Of course you may need to boost the incoming audio a bit, but that shouldn’t degrade the quality at all (there is plenty of bit depth left even when boosting the signal heavily).

BTW: Maybe it’s the listening environment on your laptop which makes it appear the sound gets degraded? Are you using some quality D/A converters or just the build-in headphone jacks?

…leave ozone out of the equasion during recording…it’s a master suite…and mastering process is final process…proper gainstaging is always essential…if u record AND mix AND master all at the same time, u can only get lost…

first get ur recordings right…then ur arrangement…these days, recording, arranging and mixing come pretty much together as one thing all mingled up…so do urself, ur workflow and for the quality of ur results the favour and leave mastering to an xtra thing…

recording something like deep mind can’t be compared to ob workflow…
if u want it deep mind style, well, then record only the physical main outs of ur takt and u got the same thing…no ob needed in this case…
ob gives u various options of routing recordings seperatly…
catch the single sample trax and the send fx separately…
all differences u experience coming from level acknowledgement…
digital levels in 24bit resolution can be pushed or tamed to anything u want it to be…
without any fear of loosing groundhiss distance…
work in 48k sessions to get serious…
use ozone to dither down to any format u’d like to see in the END…

3 Likes

I have my Digitone (which is linked to the digitakt as per manual) outs to my Monitors.
Everything sounds amazing but when i Open ableton (both devices connected with Audio Compliant USB cables) the sound is reduced to the bare minimum, and even upping the volume makes it sound meh.

…many people are surprised about levels in ob in first contact with it…
but that’s litarally nothing but headroom…
takt through tone is the better way around, if chaining them audiowise…
consider any class compliant audio interface to run ur main daw out to monitoring…
and let the elektrons do their job via ob…
then u’ll find out, all the levels will do fine again…

at the moment ur forced to compare full line out levels with straight digital domain…
that won’t do the trick for u…
consistent loudness under ur control can only happen one way strict or the other way strict…
running both vice versa will drive u nuts…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. To be sure:
I run the DIGITAKT outs via the DIGITONE Inputs.
Then DIGITONE Outs to my Monitors.
Both the DIGITAKT and the DIGITONE are connected via USB to Ableton.

Is that correct?

…yup…takt into tone…
tone to monitors…
BUT…
that’s way more a live setup than a recording set up…
find any way to connect ur speakers not directly to the tone…
heaps of cheap mixers out there that can do the monitoring AND the recording job…

What do you mean exactly?

I would need a mixer between the Tone and my laptop?
Right now I am mixing in ableton.
But the sound is of course send to the monitors via the digitone, which is ok because its an audio interface correct?

…so far so correct…
but ur mixing up two different kind of set up options and try to make them one thing…

u can’t expect the tone to do ALL monitoring levels consistent while also getting recieved properly in recording via usb by a daw while ur managing proper leveling comig from the daw back again reflecting all inputs again properly on ur monitoring…that’s more than just confusing and is the reason why ur wondering here in first place…

with any little interface or mixer, cheap as fuk, if u can’t spend any further bux, this little investment IS indeed worth it, because only THEN u can stop questioning urself and get started for real…

all ur gear outputs should end up in ur daw and ur main out of that daw is summing it all up and give it out to monitoring…if ur using one of the instruments that also gives content to the daw, u’ll always end up with a mess of releveling, no proper gainstaging and so on…

so daw mainout, via anything else but ur instruments again to monitoring is the key ur missing…
that way u can start proper recording…proper mixing…
AND u can record ALL ur elektron magic via ob in single, separated stems on the fly…!!!

that elektron boxes also work as interfaces is a nice add on for quick, single solutions, but that’s about it…
it’s only a few bux of further, but more then well invested money away…make it happen…

or use the audio outputs of ur computer for now to reach out to the speakers…
anything is better then mulileveling direct monitoring ALL at once via the tone…

DA conversion it’s important for the sound quality
For me DT/DN sounds better when I record the analog outputs

1 Like

What do you mean with DA conversion? Im a bit of a noob

thanks for your help man.

So really simple I need a cheap mixer. Does it need 12 tracks? (for each Digitakt and Digitone track?)

so it will be:
DIGITAKT to DIGITONE.
DIGITONE to Mixer
Mixer to LAPTOP
LAPTOP to Monitor

Sorry, i am new to this. I have a lot of fun with Digitakt and Digitone but recording is hard.
I want to mix in Ableton. I disable Audio Routing of the tracks so the POST Fx track in ableton is the Wet Effects.

I have it like this now.

Here they say its fine

…yup…but that’s a straight foward LIVE set up…
totally ok to jam…

and then takt through tone and then to monitoting… is all fine…plus the option to record all that in the BACK…

but u want a setup that allows u all the shit at once and vice versa…
meaning a small studio set up…

if u connect ur digis to a daw host via usb u don’t need any further dedicated outs…
because u got overbridge…which allows u to catch ALL single items in them at once…
not just one stereo sum from the tone…

so ur two stereo outs u got there from sweden don’t need to be plugged in elsewhere, because via usb/ob u can do easily better…

and to monitor all that u need now only one physical stereo output from ur computer…
just sending back that daw main out via class compliant usb audiointerface function in the tone is not really doin’ the trick…cause then u’ll end up again with inconsistant overall loudness levels…

1 Like

Okay Thanks. And you say a mixer could help?
So Digitone to DAW via USB,
And DAW to monitors

…this will already do for u…

mixer AND interface…

given the fact, that u got at least 2 independant usb slots in ur computer…

1 Like

Came here to say the same thing. I like OB in concept, but I still prefer tracking the old fashion way, one track at a time using the preamps on my Focusrite 18i20. Tedious yes, are they the best preamps, no. But I think the converters add just enough something to make it worth it.

2 Likes

Yes I have both Digitone and Digitakt via separate USB to my daw.

Now I will buy a mixer and route the audio via my laptop to the monitors.

If I don’t want to record I can just do Digitone directly via mixer into monitors

I wi buy a cheap one!

yeah i would need an USB hub as well; shit.
Im going to wait and then buy a audio mixer + mic./