Does the cable quality/price affect the sound quality?

It’s worth paying a little more for durability and a design/length that suits the use case.
But sound quality is not a factor.

2 Likes

So, what’s the difference? I’ll leave the burden of proof on you. :grimacing:

I buy decent cables because I want good connections with a maximized lifespan. I used to play in bands and cable issues was a constant problem. Cheap solder mostly.

1 Like

I follow with my purchases the German saying: Wer billig kauft, kauft zweimal. The one who shops cheap, will have to buy twice.

This has always been true in my life experience. The cheapest pot…dang a months later needed to get replaced…
The cheapest Moog, dang three months later it got replaced with a bigger one.

Buy smart, avoid snake oil, but shop reasonable. Cordial imho are good enough as cable manufacturer. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, durable enough. Speaking of cables, we should open a thread about midi cables…

3 Likes

Nope. Just buy reasonable quality ones for about a tenner. No need to spend hundreds on cables. But don’t buy ones as cheap as possible either as they be more prone to breaking(physically) .

2 Likes

This reminded me of this great video where they are testing how cable length is affecting microphone signals, even for insane lengths like 2.4km / 1.5 miles :smiley:

5 Likes

Obviously you need to ensure that have you have the cable direction fitted correctly (these days even cheap cables have direction arrows marked on them). :laughing:

It’s all about the flux used. A good quality flux will guarantee a high quality cable.

whether these are well suited for synths on the analog mixer?

Yes, I would not have any worries with those. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Buy longer than you think you will need.
Bought a load of splitter cables for my RYTM Mk1.
Long enough to reach my interface. Perfect.
Then I wanted to move some stuff around.
Face palm…

3 Likes

hey, i have these cables with a length of 1.5 - 2 m

This thread was more interesting than I expected.
Expanding the topic a bit: does anyone think power transformers for synths need to be avoided to close proximity of audio cables?

1 Like

Most gear nowadays dont use transformers. All my boxes are switch mode supplys.

Ive never worried about them. Never had any issues either.

1 Like

And now we wait for a meme in the music memes thread and come to our personal conclusion. Or we spend 30 dollars to read this AES E-Library » Cable Pathways Between Audio Components Can Affect Perceived Sound Quality

And start over​:grin::hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

I don’t buy cheap cables, because of durability.
But that’s really the only reason…

Almost all my cables are from Cordial, not expensive, but not exactly cheap.

Got a bunch of their 1/4" twin cable and many many of these simple 1/4" . Got everything connected to a patchbay and patching stuff in and out basically every day.
Not one cable broke in almost ten years.

Before that I had everything connected with their balanced 1/4" cables, all in a storage box now basically in pristine condition.

1 Like
5 Likes

The measurements taken in this video showed that using an expensive cable over a cheap one made no difference at all.

1 Like

I also use Cordial. They have a nice build quality and are relatively cheap.

Me as well… and they have a very convenient online “cable finder” that allows you to search the correct reference to be used on Thomann etc.: https://www.cordial-cables.com/en/cablefinder

1 Like

Average audio cables vs High ticket items: there’s a lot of pseudo-science about the conductivity of silver content in the wires, oxygen free copper, gold plated connectors - all of which may increase electrification but is debatable whether it truly impacts audio fidelity.

Do you buy the hype? Have you done your own A/B? What’s your belief or personal experience?