Does Syntakt replace the MD?

That’s upsetting. It really is an uncle device now. The one I had froze a few times and my stomach turned. Luckily it was only a few times and I sold it because of the price hike. I hand delivered it to the warehouse in Gothenburg to get the +drive installed and new knobs. I know how it feels to be delicate with the MD. Lol

2 Likes

For the record, since there’s so many MD ST threads. Yes the ST completely replaces the MD and the MnM. There’s no reason to buy an MD or MnM anymore, Elektron told me themselves. :slight_smile: The Syntakt does it all. Does the SOPHIE, Autechre, AFX, Boards of Canada, Eno, Skrillex, Squarepusher, Moby, Portis, Silver Apples, Plaid, and whoever else. It plays Hiphop, triphop, idm, metal, Techno, funk, neo post punk, industrial ghetto tech, house, thrash, rockabilly, and even does your taxes. No need to pay 2000+ to sound like someone else anymore. It replaces your entire wardrobe, studio, mows your lawn, cures psoriasis, It gets rid of your gambling debts, It helps you quit smoking. It’s a friend, it’s a companion
It’s the only product you will ever need.

15 Likes

I share the same complaints, but to be fair to the ST. Both the machinedrum and Analog Rytm had significantly less machines than their modern versions. I’m generally holding off on making judgements about the machine for about a year(unless an opportunity to make a joke arises)

It could go in any direction. Life cycle of the Rytm implies expanded potential, meanwhile, digitone didn’t get any extra algorithms(though, I think this was a purposeful decision. For accessibility of the machine)

4 Likes

Wise approach - especially when one has not yet tried it. I may have been too critical about the Syntakt initially. I’m starting to see videos that show more interesting sounds and beats and I can tell it’s pretty easy to make sounds with it. I love the Digitone so I think I’ll get the ST eventually as it looks pretty fun and these two will probably work well together. Regarding the M:C tones I still don’t like them but maybe it’s possible to use them in different ways or even as percussive sounds or stabs.

1 Like

Just got mine a few days ago and I’m honeymoonin but it is immediately much more fun than my machine drum was.

The syntakt is a very modern sequencer and the machine drum just felt old honestly. I had to sequence it with my octatrack otherwise it was hard to shake it off the grid.

It did sound beautiful but as is the syntakt which I find to be a lot more versatile. The drum engines r pretty simple but still very flexible.

1 Like

I’m thinking that once the ST matures and has had a few more machines added to it people will be much happier. I sure hope they don’t start selling machines like sample packs though. That’d be very disillusioning.

3 Likes

that won’t happen! elektron just add new
thing by os update for free

1 Like

Great sounding drum machines all around.

3 Likes

I’m very sad I sold my uw+ mk2 with decksaver for $1050 back in 2019 lol.

I had no idea they’d get so expensive. I’m excited for the syntakt! I hope it scratches the itch!

2 Likes

I don’t think syntakt could replace the MD. However, I feel much comfortable with the UI and format digi than the big format. In other hand, I feels so overwhelmed with all features and option on my machinedrum (non-uw), and I think I’ve never learned enough to develop all my musicals ideas on it.

I’ve bought a digitakt in the beginning because I’d like to manage samples, so instead to upgrade to UW, just took a digitakt. In few days working around DT I got to make more than the last years with my MD. I guess because just I feel more comfortable with new OS and sequencer capabilities than the old one. Sure, I missed features from MD like ctrl machines, song mode, and assigns outputs.

Now with syntakt, even if it doesn’t sound as a machinedrum, and I miss the same features as I missed with digitakt, I feel it suits to my workflow better than machinedrum. I think, as certain of you said, it’s not a MD but it keeps the spirit reinterpreted in nowadays.

So I think if you want today an analog/digital synth drum with elektron workflow, (imho) Syntakt is perfect.

2 Likes

Erm No!

Well, my very personal opinion is that the ST sounds much better, has a much better sequencer. The UW though, was a crazy creative tool and in general I had so much fun with the MD. Miss those times more than the machine I guess. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So…anybody tried any Sophie Stuff on the Syntakt. Can it do this?

1 Like

I’m sure it can be achieved. There’s a few different FM machines on the syntakt.

It’s pretty easy to do a lot of her style of sound design on it. Chorus compressor and arp would really tie it all together though.

2 Likes

Here’s how the fella @introvert does it : Dennis Stein on Instagram: "I’ve had several people ask if the @weareelektron Syntakt can do Sophie/Monomachine vibes… 📺🎛📺"

And it’s really cool !

3 Likes

There is an audio loopback possibility with ST.

Different machines…

2 Likes

how does it have chords?

New unofficial OS X

1 Like

Here is my new Machinedrum UW MKIII+

36 tracks (8+8+8+12)
Missing PI machines though…

8 Likes