Does Overbridge support connection without audio-streaming

i think, ive seen a message while installing, which says, that overbridge should be used only with usb-audio streaming. but i do not like this audio-streaming because i cant get all the streams i wanna have from the machines … (i do not understand this limitation - because - my madiface sends 64 audio streams in and 64 out at the same rate than the elektrons over only one usb 2) - so i prefere recording via my analog gear and my normal interfaces but wanna have overbridge as connection-source from the daw to my keys, rytm, digitakt and digitones.

will this work?

Hi, as far as I know all earlier Elektron machines are USB full speed (aka USB1) which has a 12Mb/sec transfer rate, vs 480Mb/sec for USB2 (high speed). Only the Analog Heat has USB2

This plus the fact:

When an USB2 hub doesn’t support MTT (multi transaction translators) the complete hub gets throttled down to USB1 speed by a single USB1 device.

And most USB2 hubs don’t support MTT.

2 Likes

Following… I have same concern (sort of) as OP: I just would like to use Overbridge for the editor/librarian/bigger screen but don’t want the sound making a roundtrip through the computer, which I believe is happening right now (I only checked with the Digitone and OB as standalone, latency is sky high). My computer is not set-up for real time audio and will not be…

1 Like

thats why i do not like streaming the audio from especially the keys, the heat and the rytm … i wanna record audio via the neve channel-strips i own or my studer 962.

1 Like

I took 10 minutes to look at OB a bit more, and I think I found what I was missing: I need to choose my Digitone as ASIO output device. So I completely misunderstood what OB is for. I’s not for me I’m afraid… I have a full-hardware-only set-up and what OB does is basically taking out my Elektron devices out of the chain both midi and audio-wise and it needs a computer as audio and midi gateway. I hoped it would optionally be usable as a editor-only device (leaving midi and audio alone). I am contemplating getting a A4 or AK and was counting on OB to give me some more confortable visual feedback while editing but that would mean that the full-analog path is interrupted by AD/DA converters in order to make the computer round-trip while adding additional latency? Or am I still overlooking something (I tried to select “none” as audio driver in the OB option, but it will not let me). I don’t have other OB-enabled devices yet so I can’t check this, but ASIO is a exclusive protocol (only one ASIO device can be used at the same time) so I believe that if I have say a AK and a DT and a Heat I must choose which one will be the output device for all 3? That is not going to be possible I’m afraid :frowning:

I sure did! It’s the “int to main” setting in the USB config menu. It defaults to auto, which means : “if OB is connected, stream to the computer instead of to the DN’s Main outputs.” For my purpose it should be set to “on”.

EDIT: and in OB, in the Audio Capture dialog, the monitoring should set to off for all channels and the mains. By default, it’s “on” for the mains and is summed with the direct sound.

3 Likes