Does OTB = less time on internet?

Does OTB for music making = less time on internet?

I reckon it would naturally lead to that. Most of my music making has been OTB, however- a couple tracks that I did ITB I felt REALLY in control with- honed in and in charge of everything.

Though- music making and sound creation are actually really fun to do, it takes little more than a decision to not surf the nihilistic void that is the internet and opt for the fulfillment of art creation. Mixing and mastering on the other hand might lead to stupid internet usage

From my experience as being kinda a slob- for ITB creating, have an efficient, tidy, and pleasant work space- I tried a hybrid set up to combine the power of both worlds- too much chaos, surfed the net

2 Likes

For myself, getting otb has definitely equaled less internet time as well as less gaming. If I would get stuck on a composition itb I would surf the net or open steam and do a little gaming. When I started Finishing more games than compositions I knew it was an issue to progress.

2 Likes

i think that its possible … it really depends on the set up.
you could have a work station that isn’t even connected to the internet.
or maybe you have a phone or pad near by you “OTB” set up.
i think its more about the environment, then ITB or OTB.

3 Likes

I’d like to follow this up with: perhaps the question is vague.

Moving OTB from looking from the angle of “less time on the internet” seems to have an obvious answer since very few hardware instruments actually enable you to surf on the internet. From this perspective it’s: the only way to go is UP!

Now, a more complicated question is: would moving OTB equate to more completed tracks? Hardware is a lot of fun to compose on, but production gets tricky, as does taming the horses of all of your gear and getting them to synchronize with each other, then you have to worry about audio routing, midi routing, and then you have more of a reason to surf the net because you want to check out new hardware, find a good price on new hardware, check the eBay auction of that new hardware, and then maybe pickup some overtime hours to be able to pay for that new hardware.

7 Likes

In theory, yes.

In my old situation, not really though I didn’t do much to prevent it! My study has a largeish L shaped desk on it with a laptop that is 90% of the time switched on and ready for use with Maschine/Ableton. Bascially the internet was within swivel distance to all my hardware that was on the other leg of the L. I have zero self restraint!

@Ryan asks an interesting question. Is OTB more productive? At various times over past 6 years or so I would have answered differently. There was a moment when I had 4 Elektrons on the go and it was actually working pretty nicely but on the whole, I think I get more done - and to a similar state of completeness - ITB.

3 Likes

this is me

the computer that has my music stuff on it is also the house computer with internet on it

I got to work out a better way or move completely OTB

1 Like

My downfall was a bit of an addiction to forums like this. Was regularly posting on several music forums as well as my football teams fan forum. Once I realised I cut that down to just here really which has helped.

Something else I did was to simply turn off the the WiFi in my laptop!

2 Likes

well, OTB isn’t divorced from the internet just because it’s not a computer. of course all your machines probably have OS updates, firmware, patches, online communities, manuals, GASing on eBay for more gear, etc etc. if anything it’s just as pronounced as ITB. Probably what you can say for sure is OTB will definitely result in less computer usage for music making, I’m not sure if that correlates to internet usage specifically

to me the best limiter of internet usage is ultimately self control. coincidently there’s an app for that called Self Control, for blocking certain sites for a period of time. Likewise another app called Freedom which just kills your network completely for as long as you specify. Or maybe try things like the Pomodoro Technique which are like timed sessions of focus. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique

I’ve become less worried about the internet over the years, quitting Facebook to some degree certainly helped calm the nerves :wink:

3 Likes

my setup works without a computer, but when i’m ready to record, i can turn my computer arm and go.

i really really like having the option of just turning on my hardware without a computer, but having a daw for those final edits is also pretty awesome.

there’s always the option of deactivating your WiFi.

1 Like

Here we all are… :wink:

4 Likes

To me it makes no difference. Self-control is what you’re talking about, not ITB vs OTB.

3 Likes

It has to be fun, so it doesn’t feel like work. (It still is) The question is, how do you make it fun? There are situations when your are frustrated, because its not sounding like you want it to be, or its not progressing as fast as you wished. (Typical solution is: seek the internet if it has answers - but it does not work this way.) You can solve most of your problems mostly with experimenting, and listening to music.

I think its good to have a play attitude and dont have too much pressure so it wont take the fun out of working.

2 Likes

I am always pleased with my results, and better yet, seem to enjoy myself more, when I work in short focused sessions. Maybe I was using the Pomodoro technique without even knowing it?

I find if I am on the internet when I should be jamming, it’s usually because I can’t focus on my goal of writing music for some reason. Tired? Hungry? Dogs barking? If lack of focus is a problem, some things to try (the best, already mentioned above is to simply turn off internet):

• Set timer for short sessions. 30 minutes to 1 hour work best for me.
  • If you get home from work and are tired when you jam, try getting up early in morning for 30 minutes and playing, before you’re worn out from working all day.
  • Sometimes excess physical energy may be a problem. Exercise first. Then jam.
  • Make a cup of tea or coffee and only play until cup is empty. Functions like a timer as well as a ritual for focusing your mind before a jam. Making the tea will become like brushing your teeth before bed - sends a signal to your body/mind that you’re about to do something.
  • Set appointments. Mon. Wed. Fr. @ 7:00PM-8:00PM could be a jam time. SO’s and kids will know not to disturb you.
  • Wear headphones. Less chance of outside noise distracting you.
  • Take care of little things before you start jam. Use the restroom, have a smoke, get a snack and beer/tea/coffee, walk the dog, etc. Don’t want anything to nag at back of mind.
  • Keep a clean clutter-free studio, if that sort of overall aesthetic works for you.

Basically it boils down to removing distractions and creating a little bubble for yourself. If done right, I feel it can be almost like meditation. Very relaxing and rewarding and energizing.

6 Likes

Brilliant suggestions

If you have to go completely hardware to not be distracted by the internet, you have bigger problems than the internet distracting you from music making. Is it honestly that hard for people to concentrate? This broad topic comes up on music forums from time to time. JUST SAY NO : )

Of the many reasons I don’t have my production machine automatically connect to the internet, being distracted by it its not one of them.

2 Likes

You are a lucky individual to be able to exhibit that much focus. The inability to maintain focus for extended periods of time is a well known and researched cognitive issue. It’s a little more than a just don’t do it solution.
A good way to avoid distraction is to structure ones environment in a way in which the distractions are eliminated. In the case of a home studio that has itb components the Internet and its vast resources can be a point of distraction. It was for myself spending my time looking up tips and what not for hardware & vsts, watching people demo videos, sound design articles, etc.

Itb is in the box, computer music making. Otb is outside the box meaning computer less composition usually.

There’s also a third one: OTW. Short for Off The Wall where you weave in and out of the box to make tracks inspired solely from Michael Jackson’s “Off The Wall”

5 Likes

No. I’m here now

1 Like