Does envelope values correspond to bpm/time in any way?

The title sums up my question pretty much. Does the values for amp A, D and R correspond to BPM or other time units?

I’m asking because i want to experiment with an external sequencer to adjust these values based on BPM, in order to avoid the envelope overlap clicks.

yes

can’t recall what I found but the modulation envelopes iirc have values that intentionally follow tempo properly

try 16/32/64 etc as durations and once the sound fits the pattern (like a synced LFO2 would) vary the tempo

It is a super handy feature that I use a lot - I didn’t see it referenced in the manual, but it’s clearly deliberate

3 Likes

So (to avoid my misunderstanding) the envelopes follows the same principle as a tempo synced LFO? In case no one already have the values tested and documented i can always try it out, i suppose. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s related in a similar way but obviously one is rate and the other is time, so an inverse relationship - but it’s clear that time based values are seq synced and the magic values are the 2^n ones

oh hang on, I know 100% for sure that the delay values are tempo synced and 99% that other time values are too - the problem with other time values is note length can be off-grid, but delay can always be accurate to the point of attack, so you have a tempo synced delayed modulation effect, it’s super cool

2 Likes

When I made a pure data Krell patch for the Digitone, I think I found that Attack and Decay were independent of bpm. That’s what I remember.

2 Likes

Wow, now there’s a thorough investigation if i ever saw one. Interesting! Thanks for clarifying. :+1:

delay is tempo synced as I had emphasised above - I was less confident about the regular envelope stages

Yes, and I don’t know about the sustain and release part.

release wouldn’t be if the other bits aren’t - sustain is easy to connect/correct to a trig length, but the attack offset will throw the timing

when I exploited the tempo sync via a deleted envelope I was using it either as a delayed step change A0 D0 Smax Dmax or as an impulse AD type input so A0 S0 and D to taste

anecdotally it looks like the DN has less time range than the A4 fwiw … I’d have assumed a copy/paste but it seems tweaked

I remember that when I got near 127, the digitone seems to follow some other function. I stopped at 110.

1 Like

Does envelope values correspond to bpm/time in any way?

Is the answer to this ‘no’, then? Thread is a little confusing

1 Like

It certainly is a useful feature to have. Other synths have it. For instance the Hydrasynth allows you to turn it on or off for both envelopes and LFOs, with the envelopes being DAHDR all parameters relatable to BPM.
ADDED: You can also set the Delay effect on the HS to use BPM too if you want.

I’ve already stated that the delay value IS synced to tempo and how that is rhythmically/musically useful in a sound modulation context - so only the delay stage of the envelope is synced

By delay stage, are you referring to the operator envelopes? Because i was in fact asking about the amp envelopes.

^

so not what you want, but still handy to throw out

your answer is no

I asked elektron support about the amp envelopes, and they confirmed that:

Envelope times are not relative to the tempo of the sequencer, they will stay the same no matter what tempo it is set to.

The envelopes are generated using internal timing and their duration isn’t expressed in any useful time unit.

Also, i’ve asked them to register my question as a feature request.

2 Likes

I would love to have that feature.

1 Like