Does adding a Digitakt to the Syntakt make sense?

I consider myself relatively new to Elektron gear. I had a M:C briefly and never gelled with it, but I got a Syntakt and it’s been great. This week I played a show with just the Syntakt and some pedals and it went well. I was going to add a small modular skiff for sampling, but I didn’t have time to integrate it into my set.

The Digitakt has always looked interesting and seems super simple to tightly integrate with the Syntakt, but it looks like the focus is on it being a drum/percussion box. I play mostly ambient/cinematic type music and incorporate field recordings sometimes. The Syntakt is already geared more towards a drum machine than I’d prefer, so I wondering if the Digitakt would be a good choice if I wouldn’t be using it for drum samples? Can it be used as a looper live? Is it a reasonable choice for playing/manipulating 2-4 minute samples during a performance?

And yes, I’m also thinking about the Octatrack, but would prefer the Digitakt form factor/workflow Thanks!

The DT wasn’t designed to work as a live looper. You can sample and trim it down to size, but it’s a very manual process: because you can’t specify the length of the sample you want to record, any looping you might try to do would rely on you being very precise when you both start and stop capturing your sample.

No, the DT’s sample time is constrained to 33 seconds.

It sounds to me that this would be your best bet, as the OT is fantastic for both live looping and handling longer stems. The form factor is for sure different, and although the OT workflow really does stand apart from the Digi boxes, the main reason for that is because the OT can do so many different things. At the end of the day, it’s still an Elektron box, with the Elektron sequencer, so you’ll be able to learn it, especially if you have targeted intentions with it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful advice. I misunderstood the 33 sec limit as for recording samples, not playback, but that would be limiting for me. I think I need to try out an Octatrack. I remember when they first came out and the manual looked intimidating, but that was before I got into modular and had any Elektron experience.

It’s dense and richly cross-referenced, which makes it seem daunting. There tutorials in the latter half which are worth following and go a fair way to teaching the core workflows, and help explain some of the more “reference” style sections.

2 Likes

YouTube tutorials are your friend with the OT too.

3 Likes

You didn’t. Max sample length is depending on the amount of available RAM which is 64Mb in an empty project, so about 11 minutes. The 33 seconds limit only applies when you are directly sampling on the DT itself.

4 Likes

So you can trigger 2-4 min samples as long as the total adds up to 11 minutes?

Yes you could, but the Digitakt is not really designed for this.

2 Likes

Octatrack without any hesitation.
OT can play, manipulate very precisely long samples from CF Card (up to 3h30mn !), and in stereo.

You can make slices easily from a long sample, play them randomly.

It can record up to 8m28s in stereo.

Form factor is absolutely not a problem for me, and I’m very picky with that. I made a stand for OT/ST. 555mm with, perfect width for an Hydrasynth Explorer or a Keystep 37 below…

Analog Four MKI is exatly the same size as OT.

The manual is not really interesting without having an OT…:content:
You definitely need to try it out to understand it’s potential…

1 Like