Does Ableton do the Octatrack thing?

ha! Its good enough for what I want to do…if it works still.

Nine Inch Nails keyboardist used the Octatrack on one of their tours.

Thom Yorkes new band (The Smile) used one last week for their live shows to sequence some modular.

Not centre piece usage but for select songs

1 Like

I see a lot of comments like this and I think

So ?

They use a lot of things. It’ll be funny to see octatrack adverts with ‘as used by thom yorke ‘ … very sad if people fall for this nonsense.

In terms of ableton I’d try making automation clips that are separate to midi notes etc … you could trigger filter sweeps etc .

Agree.

I was just simply answering some post above about “do pros use it live”

They were the big name examples that came to mind

2 Likes

Sure , my comment was a general thought , not directed at you.

As with using octatrack, ableton can do what you need … keep it simple if you are playing live … trigger pre made stems … it works well for orbital and underworld .

I’d grab a controller if you also plan to emulate octatrack on ableton … I’d probably not capture live loops , just setup fx sends and controllers to filter , pitch , delay , reverb send etc.

1 Like

@BassesAndPads, yes you can definitely replicate this: Build an audio effect rack and assign the relevant parameters to the same macro knob. You can also configure the range for each effected parameter when you turn the macro knob (e.g. reeverb goes from 0% to 20%, pitch goes from 0 to -12, etc). Different macro knobs can represent different “scenes”.

I was a Marc Rebillet gig in Berlin before he went massive (the venue under the S1 line in Schlesischer Tor) and the sound / musical aspect of it was top notch as well as massively banging.