Does Ableton do the Octatrack thing?

I can only imagine this by having a very complex template or a dedicated M4L device.

Let’s consider that parts define:

• setup of the machines of all tracks, including the use of sample slots
  • setup of the FX chains in each track
  • settings of the track parameters
  • 16 scenes

By switching a part all of this can be changed in one step. We can use/copy a pattern and apply a different part.

Now let’s add to this the 16 banks, having 4 parts each … :wink:

That’s quite a flexibility, which is in the DNA of the OT and ready to go.

2 Likes

Moodyman uses mpc

Add dynamic remapping of scene - parameter assignments and it gets really complicated in Ableton/Max4Live, but it‘s so easy on the OT without having to put in any design effort because it‘s all there.

I just got myself a new OT after years of trying to squeeze the same features out of other devices (which was fun of course). Pure joy to just have it all there, sum > parts.

2 Likes

Right. I barely know Ableton so when I started to thought-experiment it I got held up pretty quickly.

Having the ability then to reload Part or change it to 4 others at will. It’s really amazing.

I hope I don’t seem like a crazy lost person but, has anyone here tried the Deluge? Is it comparable with Octatrack?

3 Likes

As many have said both can do whatever you want, though your personality will dictate which solution gets you there faster. Even with a Push I spent yeears trying to get Ableton to click for me (setting up various workflows, configuring and mapping plugins, mucking around with the thousands of options and trying to get a smooth process) before I gave up. Elektron boxes did everything I ever wanted and more in a very intuitive and tactile way after only a few weeks of practice. Muscle memory and a more defined workflow made all the difference. I mainly use Ableton as a mixer and effects box now, and i’m going to start sequencing soft synths with my Digitakt as well.

Of course I know people who see Ableton as being simple and the Octatrack as being an impenetrable device, though my analogy is that the former is like a warehouse full of tools, while the latter is like a machine that manufactures music. There’s no right or wrong answer.

2 Likes

That’s an important point. Octatracks effects doesn’t sound that good to me.

Do you have Octatrack and Digitakt?

To some they does, to some they dont.
The wondeful thing about being individuals.

1 Like

I’m relly thinking about Digitakt right now. I’d get Overbridge, (apparently) better sounds and loose lfos and some part of sampling power. But it seems pretty nice.

IMO the more we are only interested in creating rhythmic stuff, the DT matches the OT. But if we want to perform creative or weird sample mangling, the OT would be the better machine. Just a question of the purpose intended.

1 Like

I’ve owned a Machinedrum and Digitakt, though I’ve spent a fair amount of time with my friend’s Octatrack. I prefer the Digitakt because it’s more immediate and I don’t need the level of complexity the Octatrack offers. Once again just an opinion.

I have yet to see a show where live looping is heavily used and orchestrated thru an OT. All the professional shows i’ve seen (live or on internet) use Ableton, at least because of the great lack of outputs on the OT.

If anyone has videos of someone live looping in a pro show with an OT, i’d be glad to see it (i mean live looping where the OT is the centrepiece, not a Nine inch nails gig :wink: )

Most of hardware live looping I saw were with Boss loopers, RC505 or RC300.
OT can do similar things and more…

Indeed Dataline from Elektron (at that time) demonstrating… Elektron.
I meant artists who tour with a show and found convenient to go with an OT as a centerpiece.

People using RC series or traditional loopers will quickly hit the ceiling when turning with a professional show (lack of flexibility, no further editing, difficulty to work with just a few tracks, poor quality or recording…).
I see it more as a bricolage at the end of the journey (i’m speaking as one of them and i feel the limits of a traditional looper).

I actually started to read this post because of the lack of overview on the states of the tracks, scenes, etc. on the OT as opposed to a DAW where you can see what is doing what at first glance.
The organization of a bank on the OT can be pretty confusing when you don’t have the mathematical mindset.

Sorry, I’m not touring yet. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I don’t agree. Not a poor quality, and professionnal things can be done with those as center piece. Depends on who’s using it.

2 Likes

Matter of tastes i guess.

Marc Rebillet main appeal for me is the character and his excentricity. Other than that i find his jams quite enjoyable at times but it is still jamming.

The three other videos are really what i call « bricolage ». Can be entertaining but poor quality of sound to my ears.

But we’re getting off topic here. I am still looking for videos of live looping shows with an OT :wink:

I had an OT for a bit. Sold it for some reason. Not sure why now.
I have had Ableton a long time.

I liked making ambient drone loops on the OT. I have never found it as simple to make those kinds of loops in Ableton. In the OT it was like I made them with my ears, in Ableton I make them with my eyes.

Can Live do the OT thing? Probably, but not (for me) in the same visceral way.

2 Likes

Not totally, because OT can do what RCs can do, as long as the recording length is defined. It’s not easy to find the right config among possibilities, and Pickups can be a mess.

How to make a live looping show without jamming? Why should it be a show ? A demo wouldn’t suffice ?

Do you have an example of what you’d like to see with OT ? :content:

Yes but opposite is not true and that’s why i’d like to see the OT in this context of live looping. Since it can sequence, act as a drum machine, do live mangling, etc how comes i never saw anyone using it in a show? Is it because of the learning curve myth? Or just because people go for the most used?

No one said you SHOULD not jam, i just said i would like to see something else as for me the organization of a full prepared set is not the simplest thing to do with the OT.

I think about Binkbeats, Hugo Kant, Chapelier Fou for instance (my network is very slow atm and i can’t find links right now).
Edit: The guitar player of Battles uses one but still all his gear is rigged and driven thru Ableton.

1 Like