Do you use a mixer?

Don’t use a mixer here, although I understand the benefits that make most people want to use them. Most important to me was that I wanted no plugging/unplugging, and to be able to multitrack everything into a DAW in one pass, while monitoring through the DAW. An old RME Fireface UFX fit the bill perfectly for me. It’s a super clean and space saving solution imo. The mixer software is stellar and has presets for on the fly routing changes. When I don’t feel like using the computer, I just change presets and run the thing standalone. I plan on expanding with some more I/O in the future but I can’t imaging maxing out the total channel count of the unit anytime soon.

Used to. Dont anymore.

My gear collection has finally reached a point where I need to think about this. I’m torn between something like a xone for the performance capabilities and a more traditional mixing console. Curious to see what other people are doing.

I guess it really comes down to whether or not using the individual outputs on my rytm and analog four is worth it; I feel like that’s a great way for me to spend all night tweaking the eq on a bass drum or hi hat and not actually making music… Has that been anyone else’s experience?

Multitracking isn’t important to me, I’ve never used a laptop for music. Just can’t get on with it. I prefer to record everything live in one shot.

1 Like

Having the Rytm on separate channels opened up a whole new thing for me. As each track can sound very different, they really become like separate instruments.
I don’t get lost so much into EQing, but of course this is another benefit.
I use a tascam model 24 and also do mostly one shot recordings. Recording all separate let’s me room for additional eq, panning and mix changes.

2 Likes

I have 16 in/out in my sounds cards. Can many more if need be by chaining sound cards via AVB.
No need for intermediate mixer.
Can do as many seperate tracks as yer budget can afford this way.

I use whatever, mixers of various kinds, or no mixer at all. Depends on the context. Sometimes its nice to go super OCD with indiouts running into my Apollo or SQ5, sometimes its more fun to just use a DJ mixer, sometimes its best to forget mixers and just plug the outputs into the inputs of other elektrons. Depends.

3 Likes

I do exactly what you are looking to do for similar reasons. Been down the rabbit hole of multitracking and endless tweaking. Couple of years ago got an A&H ZED 14 and have fun makingnlive takes with one or two overdubs - it suits my rambling style. Then edit out the sweet corn and keep the turd. No, wait…

1 Like

I used to have all my stuff hooked up to a Mackie 1202 vlz4 with the mute/alt34 output going into my USB interface to record into Cubase and the two sends going into the digitakt and op-1 inputs to sample. The control room output went into the stereo ins of an SP-404 to quickly record scetches without having to turn on the computer.
Although I liked this setup, it was too much of a hassle to disassemble everything for a gig and put it up again and I barely used the sends to sample anyway.
I had too much stuff and some of it was barely used. So I sold off the SP-404, blofeld, volca fm and streichfett in order to fund an octatrack, which would serve as both my live and studio hub. Cue out goes to the sound interface and the main out goes to my monitors. The monitors accept two inputs, so I can easily switch between the octatracks main outs when jamming or the output of my sound interface when recording.
Being limited to two stereo inputs now is kind of a relief but I’ll test this setup a few more days before I decide to sell the Mackie Mixer or not.

1 Like

I like to be able to play without a lot of hassle & I have quite a bit of hardware, so I absolutely adore having a mixer. I have it routed so I can sample anything into any sampler. It took me a while (& a lot of spreadsheets) to get it set up just how I like it & of course it’s never perfect.

In a nutshell, I have all my hardware synths & samplers going into a Yamaha mg12xu mixer (about $300, I’ve had it 3 years & never had issues with it), also turntables & 2 other synths into an Allen & Heath Xone dj mixer, which also goes into the Yamaha mixer.

I have the main outs of the Yamaha mixer going into my speakers & the group outs going into my samplers.

I use the aux outs for effects (Red Panda Particle & Zoom G3). I also have 1 of the group outs going thru a KP3+ & Analog Heat, which goes into Maschine Mk3. If I want to sample into my MPC 2500 for example using the Analog Heat/KP3+ it’s the only time I have to unplug anything (I just unplug from the Mk3 & plug into the MPC).

If you have a decent amount of hardware, mixers come in handy.

I also have a Bastle Dude, it’s a 5 channel mono mixer (stereo out), battery powered, smaller than the palm of my hand. I use it for portable jams, like with my volcas, Op-1, sp404sx. I LOVE this mixer. If you push the levels it adds a nice distortion & if you have a few things routed thru it & the levels pushed high it’ll voice steal/duck out different sounds (best way I can describe it). KIND OF like side chaining, but not really, it’s hard to explain.

1 Like

Hey. I wanted to ask for what you are using the c/d input on the OT then? Greats

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! That was 10 years ago!

3 Likes

Whatever else you want?