Do you use a mixer?

Been thinking about sending my synths to a mixer before going into the OT, but I also like the simplicity of just using the four inputs as is.

How are you routed, what goes where?

octa midi > drm1 > moog sp > (clock) a4.

drm1 audio > octa in ab.
moog audio > a4 (via fx track) > octa in cd.

about to send octa off for repair/service so will need to try sending midi to drm1 & cv to moog sp from the a4 - then use two tracks on the a4 to process audio,…so no external mixer here,…

1 Like

I think it comes down to personal taste here. You don’t need a mixer if you’re recording with an OT- it just makes it easier to get more complex recordings (into any recorder). A mixer will let you squeeze a lot more into the 8 track of the OT, but if you tend to sample and re sample as a rule, then it won’t really matter.

2 Likes

my thought was having all my synths hooke dup at once. Rather than my current set up of unplug and plug in. That being said I am planning to slim down my synths … maybe… if I can kick the habit.

I’m using a mixer - finding it immensely convenient. Although I don’t really use all of its functions for mixdowns, it has some very nifty features, like a lo-cut option for every channel. It’s also a lot easier to shift between listening to audio from the computer and listening to audio from the machines, as well as sampling from the computer to the OT, for instance - it’s always hooked up, so the press of a button will have me sample anything coming from the computer.

Having a mixer is very convenient for audio routing and they can be had relatively cheap. I’d say go for it, it sure made mixing sounds together a lot easier for me (but I could never really get to grip with using the OT as a mixer, volume levels were all wrong and nothing seemed to work the way it should).

1 Like

For me, using a mixer has one great benefit: Aux sends - the more the better. Being able to further process invidual sounds/beats with an array of distboxes, analog delays and filters, effect boxes, etc etc is really rewarding.

Also, connecting the outputs of the FX units to the mixer and routing the wet signals to other effects opens up new worlds. Distorted feedback delays, gated filtering, reverberated delay taps and so on.

1 Like

You may be able to slim down for a time, but NAMM 2014 is just around the corner!

I can’t live without a mixer, personally. Like you said, constant plugging and unplugging can really waste a lot of your creative time. Also, being able to patch out of a few channels at a time can be great for getting your synth-mix to fit right in with whatever mix you have going on the OT.

There’s nothing worse than realizing, after hours of work, that you blew your original recording and have to start over- the principal applies to the OT and a DAW. Being able to monitor your synths with the OT before you record them in prevents that from happening.

EDIT: As Jon just said- even a 2 sends/returns on a mixer can increase the sonic palate of your entire hardware collection immensely- and prevent you from having to constantly plug and unplug FX boxes/racks/pedals.

I use a mixer with all my synths attached. With a press of a button I can route any channel to the octa which is permanently patched in on input a/b. This allows me to overdrive the signal, eq and send the signal to outboard gear before it hits the octa inputs.

2 Likes

I use a Yamaha MG124C mixer.

I use a Yamaha MG124C mixer. This analog mixer works fine for me.

You can send channels to different busses for feeding the OT or another effect processor.

Also you have additional EQ’s and faders for your tracks.

This mixer also has a compressor. But quality is not so good.

1 Like

As odd & as this may sound i’ve always used FX inline with my synths, as opposed to sharing the signal via Sends & Returns on multiple channels.

So i understand only basically Aux send & return but how do you "connect the outputs of the FX units to the mixer and route the wet signals to other effects"

Thanks

I have this collecting dust on the floor…

and at the moment the current state of affairs is messy…

I had the mixer pluged in when the tetra arrived but each voice form the tetra would cycle from left and right one for each channel. maybe I had the mixer set up wrong. never been that good with them.

What do you mean by the voices “cycling”? Did you have each voice on the Tetra hooked up to a different mono channel?

the stereo out was connected to channel 1 and 2 on that yamaha pictured above

For example like this:

Octatrack out -> mixer channel 1, 2.
Analog delay out -> mixer channel 3
Analog filter out -> mixer channel 4
Digital stereo reverb out -> mixer channel 5, 6.

Aux send 1 -> Analog delay in.
Aux send 2 -> Analog filter in
Aux send 3 -> Digital stereo reverb in.

With this setup you can affect the Octatrack pattern with the filter, delay and reverb FX. But! You can also affect the FX with effects. For example treating the analog filter signal with delay and reverb - or even creating feedback loops by cranking up aux send 2 on the filter mixer channel (mixer channel 4) to send the filter output to its input (watch your speakers though!!!).

1 Like

Ah, i see. I’ll give this a go.

Thank you, Jon :wink:

the stereo out was connected to channel 1 and 2 on that yamaha pictured above[/quote]
I don’t know anything about that mixer, but I assume you had the stereo outs connected to 2 mono inputs. I could see that as causing some problems! I think I see 1 stereo pair on that mixer, so try that (or just use the L/Mono output of the synth on one channel).

Is anyone using a DJ mixer with Elektrons, namely any of the Allen & Heath ones?

I’m eyeing up a Xone 3D… seems like it could be quite handy for connecting four boxes simutleanously and using as a live mixer with midi capabilities… thoughts?

If you have the cash, go for it! Haven’t really seen a video of someone using a top end 4 channel DJ mixer and Elektron boxes together. I imagine it would get pretty difficult- that’s a lot of knobs!

Best thing about the Xone series of mixers is that you can output 4 ultra high quality stereo tracks to a DAW as you jam. Pick out the good parts and you could mix up a song.

1 Like

I use a mackie lm3204 in my studio room. Plenty of line for all my hardware. I can record tape out to my h4n or use the alt3/4 to send to my computer if I want. Lots of routing options. I then run my live rig, as well as anybody else’s gear that’s over jamming, into a patchbay that routes to the lm3204. Patchbay also routes in the aux sends of the lm3204 for insert gear.

For my live rig I use a small 8channel mackie for sub mixing various pieces of hardware if I’m not using the OT. With the OT in the mix, I route a4 to a/b and MDUW to c/d. I then run a 303 and op1 into a4 via fx track and 2 marsynths into MDUW via input a/b. the total signal is run through the OT, then into a kp4 and then into an eventide space. I seldom find the need for a mixer if I’m using the OT, but its always nice to have a small portable one on hand if I want to use more gear. Depends on what setup I want to use that evening.

1 Like

Highly recommend the Soundcraft Compact 10 - made for four Elektrons plus more!!!