Do you use a compressor on Digitakt?

I only received my Digitakt a couple of days ago and it’s still too early to say for sure, but it seems to really get along well with the Manley Nu Mu. A bit pricey, but sounds awesome.

2 Likes

Could imagine anything would sound better through that beast

3 Likes

Manley claim to have designed it specifically for modern electronic styles and I can see why they’d say so. It’s not as colored as the classic Vari-Mu - though you can hit it hard for some of that famous Manley character. The 'Hip" mode (sort of preset parallel compression on a switch) is very nice. It was my ever-expanding arsenal of Elektron boxes that convinced me to buy the Nu Mu, actually. A good match!

(I should say that the Digitakt sounds really good with no compression, too.)

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, at one of the trade show demos Cenk hinted that something nice could come to the Digitakt’s master page. Anything more than that at present is our inference and desire.

4 Likes

It’s true!

Problem is, that was before the Master Page was revealed in its eventual state with its 8 track levels.
Was the “something nice” the 8 track mixer? Or could it be more?
I welcome a second page with a compressor but the 8 track mixer might be all there ever is in the master section.

Sorry Adam - just to clarify as I’m a bit of a dunce. Using your method (with the insert cable, passive HPF and SC input) cuts audio below 100Hz from the the perceived signal that the RNC processes, but it doesn’t remove audio below 100hz from the actual audio processed by the RNC? If so, then that’s genius!

3 Likes

Yes, that’s the principle of side chain.
Having the compressor threshold on only a part of the signal (or any other signal for that matter)

Yeah a lot of bus compressors have this built into the compressor circuitry, with a switch for the frequency of the high pass filter, selectable at different preset frequencies e.g. 150,200,250hz etc.
The glue is a good software example showing this highpass sidechain with selectable frequency at the bottom of the plugin

2 Likes

@LyingDalai @psyclone001

Thanks for the info. Yeah - I’m well versed in SC compression, I was just curious about the particular set up on the RNC, which I recently purchased. I was aware you could use its SC input with a TRS insert cable for mixers(for example), what I didn’t realize is that the SC input would still function as a trigger for the the compression of the main stereo input at the same time. I thought that you could use the SC input to either side-chain the main mix or send a mix through an insert, but not both at the same time. Going to order that passive HPF now ;).

2 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

yeh man - hear me now, believe me later

you know the drill

Eh, you were talking about A/D converting a fully digital signal flow. So… No. :wink:

In this case it would seem that the DT being digital would have to use it’s internal D/A to send audio out its analog outputs to an audio interface, but through OB no D/A would be required as it’s simply sending the digital signal to the computer.
Opposite of analogs as they have an all analog signal path which must use A/D for OB, which I agree better sound can be captured through a high quality interface…

1 Like

Yeah no conversion necessary is a big advantage of OB with the digital DT.
Best sound quality

1 Like

FMR PBC6As are full power, character compressors. Not cheap in Europe though. For real warm character I think it gets pricier than an Analog Heat often. I’ve wanted to try a Valley People Dynamite. I didn’t particularly like my RNC. My RNLA was better. I had a Focusrite Compounder, which wasn’t special enough, in my opinion. I bought a 3630 last week for £10, I must stop being lazy and give it a go. Instead of dreaming of buying two more PBC6As or similarly pricey & warm processors! :grimacing:

I think the Focusrite Compounder is special and highly underrated. I like how it sounds when overdriven a bit.

In fact the Compounder is well thought of by many. And great value. It just didn’t have the old fashioned warmth of the PBC6As or similar, I feel.

I’m curious about how folks would compare the new v1.8 OS Digitakt Compressor with other hardware units.

I like that there is a side chain input and HPF/LPF side chain filter. I wish there was an auto-release option like the Rytm, however.

3 Likes