Do you.. Reward yourself with a Synth for Xmas, Birthday (or other Occasions)

always did before the war, and will probably continue after.

this year was sort of exception, but … long story short – iPad turned to be hardly dispensable when it comes to arrangement, because Drambo is just the best for that.

3 Likes

Year 2023.

I’m quitting smoking and if I make it to 6 months I’ll most definitely get myself a reward. Something like: half the money I’ve saved toward a little studio treat.

not sure what though. I’m only a week in so I have time

10 Likes

concidered buying me a new year synth (TB-03 or TB-3), but …
got a new home NAS server instead, because my old one is really old – 13 years! – and eventually became too sluggish by todays standards.

I avoid buying myself things for special occasions and just do it guiltily spread out over the rest of the year.

3 Likes

Keep going. Best decision everrrr

They’s no “yes” choice.

That’ll be around superbooth so maybe something new will be released that will be a cool reward.

Really great idea. Keep going. I quit 8 years ago and never think about it again. It gets easier as the weeks, months and years pass and you’ll feel better and better as that time passes as well. All obvious but sometimes good to say it again :grinning:

I bought the motor synth as a sort of reward I guess. Not a necessary purchase at all but had been dreaming about that one since superbooth 22. And since this was quite a turbulent year, and the Christmas sale deal was just too good to pass….

2 Likes

Good work, you won’t regret it. You can look forward to a world where your food tastes better and you won’t feel like you’re going to pass out if have you run to catch a bus. Bonus points - your clothes won’t smell like sh*t. Seriously, stick with it.

Back on topic - I don’t generally buy stuff as a gift to myself but this year I sold a bunch of unused items (my wife “gently encouraged” me) and I showed great restraint during Black Friday. As a result I had enough money in my Paypal account to get something, which turned out to be a Polyend Play Plus.

As to whether that will last past the returns window, still remains to be seen…

1 Like

Since getting the Push 3 (controller), there’s nothing I want any more. Maybe I will buy some dust covers for the stuff I’m no longer using :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im another who really struggles to justify spending money on myself so I don’t normally do self-presents.

I did lose it a bit when I turned 40 though and panic bought a Perkons and an Alfa Romeo :grimacing::grin:

2 Likes

As my own Santa I determined I’ve been good enough to get a used TR-8s. Very happy with the few moments I’ve had with it so far.

2 Likes

…i need no special time of the year to get me something…

while this x mas, not tonight, that’s more gift time for my son, but tomorrow, i gonna purchase an update of my smart eq to version 4, purchase an update of shaperbox to add their new reverb thing and will spent some money for xln’s latest product life…

and will defenitly not spent any further money until my next bitwig upgrade plan needs to be refreshed in august 24…

only chance i change my mind, is, if the roumors turn out to be truu and unfiltered audio actually really come out with their first take on a next level drummachine plugin…

oooh boy, my hw days are really coming to an end, i’m afraid…

1 Like

I’m debating to gift myself something when I give the job I hate the bye bye. . Probably should wait until I secure a new job though.

1 Like

This is something that factors into how I do it. When the tide is choppy and finances must be plunged into essentials, then yeah - gifting to youself is perhaps a bit sketchy. Or when jobs are precarious, it would be similarly high risk by comparison. In your case, I would use a new job as the moment to gift to yourself. Personally, I’ve only regretted spend when I used credit in some form and the choppy waters got choppier (this was a long time ago mind.)

Overall it seems to be about playing the percentages. When things are good, stable and the cash is there outside of stuff ringfenced for life essentials and savings, that’s about as green a light as you’re going to get to go ahead and enjoy it. If there’s ever a time to have no regrets, it’s when you actually have the money. That way, when the day inevitably comes when you want to spend and can’t then you can play those percentages by not spending.

1 Like

Reward for what. Are we trained monkeys? Hate the idea of being rewarded.

1 Like

My birthday is near enough Christmas and also coincides with having some extra cash lying around so this year I got myself an Empress Reverb :partying_face:

2 Likes

Yes! i quit smokin as well… Moog 60hp eurocase with Boomstar Oscillation and West Pest! But still not deliverd… i quited modular 4 years ago. But this 60hp is just for testing en fun

I’ve also quitted this this year, and rewarded myself after 6 months with a Lyra-8… Which I sold pretty quickly because quitting didnt made me richer and food prices have been rising up. But still : this gift, as shortly as it stayed, definitively boosted up my confidence to stay smoke-abstinent.

2 Likes

I don’t believe in buying things for myself as a reward but sometimes it’s nice to boost morale with getting something that would improve the quality of your life - new eye glasses, bedding, high quality caffeine, etc. I do this sparingly.

But I did get a Space Echo RE-201 fully serviced during November along wtih a copy of Soothe that was on sale. However, as long as the faces of evil are running the world unchallenged, I wlll prepare for the worst and hope for the best. No more studio purchases this year or for the forseeable future.

2 Likes