Do you like your own music?

I think you do yourself a disservice. I am listening to “St James Infirmary” on Soundcloud and enjoying it very much. You’ve got a terrific voice and the sparse recording is perfect for the material. “Christmas Cheer” is excellent, too. (the latter might be a bit more prescient now than it was when you did it).

Oh my, I forgot about the soundcloud songs.

1 Like

On topic: I like most of the music I’ve done in the past couple of decades, and some of what I did before then. I’ve been doing this for a loooong time, so my tastes and intention have changed and I have gotten better at what I do, so some of the older stuff is not as much to my liking… especially if I was not hitting the target for which I was aiming back then. It took me a long time to find my singing voice, so I cringe a little at some of my youthful attempts.

1 Like

They are quite good…

1 Like

Oddly enough just last night I was gathering all my tracks for this new album and found all my old phone demos. Going to run them through ozone and release a B sides & demos album for the hell of it.

2 Likes

That would be great to hear. I wish I had the ability to do this kind of thing. I don’t play any stringed instruments well (I am working on lute and classical guitar late in life), and am in awe of those that can evoke an atmosphere and emotion with only a guitar and a voice.

1 Like

Now I’m listening to my own music. Thanks. Lol. Both those albums are on youtube also. Songs from a dumpster fire, and Smoldering Garbage.

I really enjoy playing and singing. Haven’t for a long time. I have A TON of cover songs I used to do for fun. Definitely helped ease the pain of long days in a warehouse.

1 Like

I really like most of my stuff, some of it I love. I always create music in the style I‘m currently into, so I‘m really creating stuff I want to listen to myself. I often listen for hours to my own stuff while having a walk.

But I also often feel insecure about it when listening to my role models or even other music channels that i like, where I feel they do it much better.
Depends also on my mood.

And often when listening back to old stuff I‘ve done, I‘m wondering if that was much better than what I do now, and if I lost my path :upside_down_face:
On other days I love my recent tracks

13 Likes

also interesting. my grandfather oil painted. he mostly copied other people’s stuff and found sketching/painting people’s faces difficult. most of his stuff was landscapes and city scenes. almost none of it was original, but I think he enjoyed the process of sitting, smoking cigarettes, and taking that quiet time to replicate someone else’s work. so it was gratifying for different reasons. he enjoyed the paintings for what they represented, maybe not the pure artistic enjoyment.

2 Likes

He sounds like me minus the ciggy :slight_smile:

Your grandpa sounds like a cool dude!

It’s funny, I can do portrait work decently, but can’t draw/paint a landscape to save my life.

I love the process of making music, and somewhat enjoy listening to my own songs, but nobody else likes it. I get very frustrated with drawing and sometimes even quit for long stretches of time. But people tell me they like my drawings. Go figure.

1 Like

he was a cool dude. he smoked lucky strike unfiltered since he was like 8 or 12. it was a different time. I’d hang out with him in a cloud of smoke. it was like sitting in an ash tray, and my poor kid lungs probably suffered for it, but it was always fun to hang out. relatedly (back on topic?), before he died, he gradually lost his motivation to paint. part of it was a dexterity issue, but there was other stuff going on. it was really hard to see someone lose the ability and joy for something he really loved.

so keep at it — use it or lose it. find any little bit of motivation you can, because it may be fleeting.

4 Likes

I ain’t even gon front on it I make my favorite music. I listen to my stuff more than I listen to anyone else and the majority of it calms me like none other.

4 Likes

Yes. Love listening to my own stuff

4 Likes

I find that I have a bit of journey where at the point I release an album, I enjoy it and feel accomplished but I’ve been listening to it to much so put it out of my mind. Usually about 6months after that it annoys me to listen to it because I can spot parts that aren’t quite right or that I wish I’d done slightly differently… but by the time it gets past 3 or 4 years I can then just listen and enjoy it for what it is and flaws are what they are - the details of how they got there are forgotten…

Not that I listen to my old music very often - would make me feel like some crazed narcissist if i did…

1 Like

I do like most of it. Except the oldest material. I do like some of that but not for the most part.

A lot of it is just sort of ‘ehh’, usually cause it feels derivative. Like I was trying to emulate an artist and mine is just a cheap imitation. I’ve made a few tracks I’m still very proud of though.

I am both my harshest critic and my biggest fan, and I think that’s the balance to manage when being creative.

Gotta push yourself to not do the easy thing, but if you don’t like what you’re making, who will?

Can’t dislike your music if you don’t write any

Eddie Murphy Thinking

11 Likes

I agree!
The process of making is more important to me than letting anyone else hear it. I spend a lot of time (when listening to music) listening to my own sketches, demos and so on. I don’t know, it has some sort of productive value to it, as if listening to the sketches actually brought them closer to finalization. In that way, listening to stuff I’ve made (but haven’t yet finished) is also a part of the creative process :slight_smile:

An alternative would be to not release the music that one makes… maybe wierd but hey in that way it never goes bad