Do you guys take notes while making music?

That is some neat handwriting, and joined up too, mine is ALL CAPS and looks like it was written by a lesser primate, so I won’t be posting any examples :joy:

1 Like

Usually at the mix stage, I like to listen away from the DAW and not look at an arrange- or mix page while listening. Then I take some notes about the mix and sometimes also the arranging. Yellow sticky pads work for me.

1 Like

there’s a simple note-taking LV2 plugin on Linux doing exactly that — keeping text notes.
i can use it in most Linux DAWs — but not in Bitwig which does not support LV2.
i wonder why each and every DAW does still does not have some note-taking capabilities in 2021.

Man, I’m not sure where one would get rasable strips for sure, but they used to be easy enough to find at music stores. I just use masking tape :slight_smile:

1 Like

My day job comes with a lot of note-taking. I used to fill tens of notebooks per year and at the end of the year I’d cut them up and scan them in (using a page feed of course) for my digital archive.

A few years ago I switched to an iPad with Apple pencil and two apps: Nebo for note taking, which has truly excellent handwriting recognition and Goodnotes for sketches and diagrams.
The feeling of writing on glass took some getting used to but I couldn’t imagine my job anymore without the iPad.

For my music making I still prefer a notebook though.

1 Like

Left: notes on getting the A4/AK into acid mode, stolen from a post here
Right: notes on a noise/drone idea :rofl:
Behind: current music notebook
Top: Pilot Vanishing Point. A bit fiddly, but no cap to lose.

Edit: Every single fountain pen has outlived at least one iPhone. Some of them date back to when I had Nokias & Blackberries. :scream:

2 Likes

@joeyfivecents keeping cursive alive!

Yes constantly! Memory is not what it used to be these days :tipping_hand_man:

It’s a curse. When people find out, they ask you to write all sorts of things. I had to address all of our wedding invitation envelopes when my wife found out I could write like that. There were about 400 invitees… :grimacing:

4 Likes

I make videos on my YT channel for review over time.

I make notes when Im working on tunes. Always have.

4 Likes

Splurge on some gaffer tape (not duct tape). It’s designed to not leave residue.

*a cursive.

Gotta tell people you’re saving your ligaments for synthesizing/programming.

=)

You can’t write on gaffer tape though.

Sure you can. Get the white stuff.

1 Like

Tendons.

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

not re-writable, but 3M Blue tape is the shit, peels super clean, used it for years labeling things in kitchens. Its often referred to as painters tape.
its kinda spendy, but once you get used to using it there is no going back.

1 Like

clean.

Console Tape is a thing, and it’s good.

When I refit my boat last year, I found scraps of Blue tape that weren’t fully peeled from prior repairs that were at least 10 years old. No stick left, but still pliable, and any residue was easily rubbed off.

As much better as Blue Tape is from the cheap pale stuff, Fineline is that much better for detail work. Sailboats have a lot of complex nonskid surfaces built out of complex curves, and Fineline was a joy to use.

I imagine that Fineline would be ideal for masking off synth panel graphics, but would want to confirm with someone who does detail painting at that scale.

1 Like

On which page of the body manual is this clarified?? I swear I’ve RTFM’d

1 Like