Do you guys take notes while making music?

Console Tape is a thing, and it’s good.

When I refit my boat last year, I found scraps of Blue tape that weren’t fully peeled from prior repairs that were at least 10 years old. No stick left, but still pliable, and any residue was easily rubbed off.

As much better as Blue Tape is from the cheap pale stuff, Fineline is that much better for detail work. Sailboats have a lot of complex nonskid surfaces built out of complex curves, and Fineline was a joy to use.

I imagine that Fineline would be ideal for masking off synth panel graphics, but would want to confirm with someone who does detail painting at that scale.

1 Like

On which page of the body manual is this clarified?? I swear I’ve RTFM’d

1 Like

Would have been faster to ask a designer to make an original typeface from your handwriting :grinning:

…always takin’ notes…not so much for workflow details and reminders, but for hooks and punchlines…all along…

nice handwriting!

Would have been faster to ask a designer to make an original typeface from your handwriting :grinning:

1 Like

Basic functional anatomy.
Tendons attach muscle to bone. Both of which are responsible for moving joints, by means of contraction/relaxation, driven by electrical impulse delivered by motor neurons.

Ligaments join bone to bone, binding the joint capsule together, and defining range of motion.

Ligaments dont execute movement. Muscles and tendons do.

2 Likes

I am using notes differently depending on what phase the track is in.

In the creative phase and when jamming it’s mostly notes to capture certain presets I would like to explore more in the song or arrangement ideas to test out. I try not to get too sucked into small details here.

In the finalize phase (that is very long for me) it’s more a structured to-do list with edits, transitions, issues to be solved etc.

I am using online mixing so in the mix phase I am describing how I would like the different parts to sound and the overall vibe of the song.

I find it verrrrry difficult to remember where my notes are (even if I know in which book).

If I remember correctly Ableton has a Notes function, right? Is anybody using that? Would be the easiest way since everything would be in one place…

1 Like

Absolutely :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s a thought. I always wanted to use it for album covers, like Neil Young does. But it doesn’t matter anymore, no one looks at the tiny cover on streaming…

Maybe for your 50tv anniversary :wink:

I make an index at the front of the notebook. I write in the project name, and the number of the page it’s on. Then, if I make new notes about the same project, later in the book, I add that page number to the index entry.

It sounds fussy, but once you get the habit it’s great. You can use it for anything, and you don’t have to save blank pages for the project before continuing to use the notebook.

5 Likes

Sounds very clever

I’d be curious what your job is :slight_smile:

For people interested in note-taking more generally, not just for making music, there is this thread: Thinking and noting tools

I used to. I even used to do it for DJing like if I found three tracks that worked really well together and I could do some tricks with I’d write it all down.

But I found that if I biffed something it was so much harder to recover since I was relying on notes. When I was improving more, I was quicker at recovering from a mistake.

These days instead of taking notes, I just always but the same types of sounds on the same tracks. Then I also always put certain kinds of patterns in the same place was well. So like transitions are always the last 2-4 patterns out of 16. I reserve the first 4 patterns for the “main groove” etc. I might always not remember exactly what is going on, but I have an idea.

I’ve also started using a DJ mixer so I can cue something in headphones before the audience hears it. That helps a lot.

I found some magnetic whiteboard strips, which work with dry-erase and wet-erase markers. They work pretty well, and are easy to cut to size.

Lots of options on Amazon.

1 Like

Any issues with smudging?

No.

If you have wet/damp hands you can wipe it off, so maybe not good for live in sweaty clubs.

It all depends on the marker you use, though

All the time …

1 Like