Do I need an audio interface?

I’m fairly new in music production and so far I have only recorded using the USB from the mixing desk. Now that some things start to sound well, I want to start recording them using separate channels into a DAW.

My current equipment includes a DN, a DT, a keyboard (used both as a MIDI controller and as a standalone instrument), and a microphone (for singing).

I read that the DN/DT can be used a 2in/2out audio interface, but I’m a bit confused. With my current setup, do I need to buy an audio interface or using the DN/DT/mixing desk is enough? If not, how many in/out channels do you think I need?

In general I would think DN, DT + Overbridge will cover most of your recording needs. I assume you are ok to overdub the vocals and any other keyboard parts? I think if you install overbridge you’ll find most of what you need covered.

1 Like

It sounds like you might be able to get away with using DN/DT only. Something that an interface would add if you ever needed it would be a preamp. Most come with at least one or two of those. Overall latency would likely improve if you moved away from using DN/DT. Dedicated monitor controllers and headphone outs might be of interest. Also, a midi interface. I experimented with using an AH as an audio interface for a mobile setup, but I couldn’t get it to work as a midi interface. But, you can probably get around this if all you need is usb midi. What is your recording setup now? I see it says a mixing desk into usb, can you add some specifics?

Run DT output to DN input, then run Overbridge with the DN to track everything into your DAW. I believe this will work for you. By doing this, you can also use the fx section of your Digitone on your Takt.

…yup…check out overbridge…

no need for a dedicated audio interface for now…

1 Like

for the mic you will need one, a simple model like the audient id4 will do the trick, it has an excellent preamp.

Yes, this is fine.

The mixing desk has a USB output that can be connected to a computer. All tracks are merged, so it’s fine to make a quick recording of some ideas, but can’t be easily edited afterwards. At the moment I’m using audacity to capture the audio because I haven’t any DAW license at the moment.

I’ve one of this (https://blokas.io/midihub/) preordered, so MIDI shouldn’t be a problem.

I tried Overbridge a few days ago and it’s amazing. But I didn’t tried it in combination with a DAW.

Will consider this model. Which model to buy is a whole new topic by itself!

Thank you all for your answers!

ok, if youve got no daw yet, have a look at tracktion, its freeware and should keep you busy until you have decided for a „proper daw“. just look at the demos of bitwig and ableton live and choose which one you find easier to control.

@goatofneptune, following your advice, yesterday I tried Overbridge with Tracktion and made my first recording. I’ve just posted it in the “share your tunes” section: Share your tunes

youve got it up and running, nice! now you can start to learn something about structures, melodies and rhytm. my recommendation are the vids from „dance music production„. well worth the subscription price and they cover many genres and important basics.

Just got a second hand audient iD14 today :happy: