Do companies take disability access into account?

Money is available, in some countries. It should be everywhere, and more easily made available.

1 Like

Oh wow, I hadn’t ever heard of Yaeltex before. I only have very vague DIY kit experience and none in product design but I’d love to help tackle something like this.

1 Like

My point was not a moral point, it was a description of the market.

Some people think they are expensive, not i, having a custom MIDI interface, can mean a lot and make this sort of thing worth it.

MIDI 2.0, and other MIDI features ( i’m thinking NRPN on the Hydrasynth ) could even make a custom MIDI interface even better.

1 Like

When I think about gear I think about real simple solutions. For example, changing patterns with one button click versus a key combination.

Limiting “shift + click”

Using colors color blind people can see

Maybe faders and sliders versus knobs

Touch screens versus tactile buttons

You know, even if just having the conversation like, “who can use this” would be helpful

Knobs with the right sort of cap, can give good tactile feedback.

Encoders can be a problem. Though that new synth the NINA from Melbourne Instruments ( thread ) would always set a tactile knob to position.

What’s usable in performance vs just working an instrument in the studio are different.

Yeah, for a custom controller those aren’t bad prices at all. I have no idea what actually goes into designing a custom controller (beyond the obvious) but I’m absolutely down to try. If we need to spin this off into a separate topic or messages or something we can do that.

3 Likes

I agree, I also don’t think the onus should be on manufacturers to make all instruments accessible to all, for a start it would be impossible.

Bespoke solutions are the best option, for sure, I’d like to see things like the National Lottery, Princes Trust etc to cater for this, (maybe they do, not looked into it) where the person was not able to afford the cost themselves.

It would be great if instrument manufacturers could get involved too. TE put braille on the OP1 connector cover, but I’m not aware of any other gear which has braille, technically it would be quite simple to have lexan type overlays with embossed braille, available to buy as a retrofit, but whether there would be sufficient demand in what is already quite a niche (comparatively speaking) for a company to do so is unlikely. Then the question is would it actually be that useful to the blind?

I could imagine that those piezo haptic type things could be used in place of a LCD/OLED to convey information on say a groovebox, but then a laptop with speech prompts would probably be both cheaper, and more accessible?

3 Likes

Maybe, but it would be nice for that choice to exist.

I have an similiar autoimmun disease where my hands are not always work like I want them to be. I am especially angry at elektron in thris regard.
I sold the model:cycles mainly because the pads where so damn hatd and crappy that they just hurt my hands and I would use those longer it could end bad. No problem with normal strong hands maybe but not well thought out.
Same with the rytm.
This is one thumps up I have to give to Native Instruments. Even if I find the UI super bad, the Pads are superb.

4 Likes

…not aware of any music hw that keeps that in mind…
…but android, ios, windows, linux and macos defenitly do…so in music in particular, that’s all down to individual solutions, but all common comunication and work options offer so far so good alternative options to get things done for most ways users might have to deal with handicaps…

I think it comes down to most things are retrofitted for accessibility and not designed this way from the start which makes it much harder to do for non software products, obviously big and simpler designs are going to be easier to use for everyone but then just as many people have serious space constraints which drives up the need for small multifunction complexity. I think color blind is probably the one most should try to design around although there are multiple types of color blind so it is not always so easy depending on complexity of the device.

1 Like

Yes, stuff like this is quite puzzling, and also gear with tiny screens/fonts, tiny buttons, dark text on dark backgrounds etc etc.- there is a long list of relatively simple design changes/language which would make gear much better for those with physical restrictions without having any compromise to anyone, in fact it would be better for all, with zero or minimal cost. Easy wins.

2 Likes

I agree completely.

The funny/sad thing is that the companies that could actually really make some progress, or some specialized instruments that could open things up for people with disabilities (due to having the resources, development staff, etc.) are the very companies that have ceased innovating over the years because they find it comfortable to keep doing the same thing over and over and just taking money. (I’m talking about the huge corporations here, not the sub 20 person companies.)

The creative people are mostly in tiny companies (or even one person), and most likely do not have the resources for experimental products.

IMO though I think the research and development would be better put into interfaces and as you say bespoke instruments and solutions that are tailored to a specific artist’s needs, rather than putting check-box derived surface solutions into instruments that are already unfriendly to some groups of people.

Barring hand/arm disabilities, I believe that the keyboard is probably the most disability friendly interface out there, and has existed for centuries. The scale is clearly differentiated by touch, and once a musician is familiar, vision and many other impairments are of little consequence. See Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles as recognizeable icons who have no problem playing keys.

Knob per function synthesizers that are well laid out would fit into a similar category, and can be further augmented by custom interface solutions.

I don’t think a synthesizer that includes multi-page menus, a few buttons, and a couple of knobs or sliders is ever gonig to be friendly. Nor do I think every instrument needs to be. I think there are a lot of existing options that just about anyone could eventually find their way around, and the potential for further refining their processes through custom interfaces. It would be exciting to see more of this sort of thing surface though. Things like Imogen’s gloves, but maybe that could work with other parts of the body for example.

The problem is getting resources to the smart and willing people, or getting the big companies to budge a bit on their status quo operation. I don’t think it should ever be forced on anyone to design for specific audiences, but I do believe that there are many people out there that would love to participate in the development of this type of tech, if they were given the resources to do it.

It’s a multi-faceted problem that requires multi-faceted solutions. The potential is already there.

3 Likes

Good post J3RK.

Universities are also a great source for this sort of research and specialization.

I posted this a while back about a prosthetic that allowed individual finger motion done at Georgia Tech. There is quite a lot of this sort of thing done at universities.

Here’s the video.

Don’t get hung up on the current state of the technology, key in more particularly on the reaction of the participant here, and picture what these sorts of things can mean longer term for this person and others.

Also there are schools that focus very particularly on the individual, and find ways to get there, regardless. For instance The Academy of Music for the Blind (AMB) in the Los Angeles, CA area. They aren’t the only school, there are others around the world, and there also are many individuals that are doing the same sort of individual instruction, and getting into the heart of music creation.

ADDED : Another video from the same group at Georgia Tech, with a bionic drummer prosthesis. Another source of funding for this sort of creation, money from the Defense Department for help to veterans.

3 Likes

So i take note of two companies, three products, designed specifically for one hand operation, that were shown or mentioned this past weekend at SynthFest 2022 in Sheffield.

Yiannis of Dreadbox mentions a undescribed new product that can be played with one hand, and Transistor Sound Labs, has two sequencers Stepper Acid and Stepper Drums, specifically made for one hand playing.

See this post, and the post just before it that i did, for videos that describe this.

I don’t think either was done primarily for the purpose of access, but no doubt that is still part of the reason. After all this sort of good design can benefit everyone.

Also note in that same post that Os of Expert Sleepers is also showing a DIY project he’s done to attach a larger screen on to his Disting EX to improve visibility of that small screen. ( Apparently that screen could also show alternative data too, if i understand correctly. )

That’s the sort of response i like to see from companies. Even a DIY attachment like a screen expander is welcome.

5 Likes

New post April 20th :

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Older post from March 31st :

Yeah – mechanical advantage.

Also knob shape can make a difference These are too large but a smaller version can help for some dexterity issues and might allow for one finger movements, or maybe use with a prosthetic.

Someone could 3D print items like this.

6 Likes

Just a “my 2 cents” Jason Becker was a phenomenal guitarist who was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease) before his 21st birthday and given no more than five years to live. That was in 1989. Since he became unable to physically interface with instruments or a qwerty keyboard, he continued composing music using a special software interface for a music-composing computer program that reads movements of his head and eyes, enabling Becker to continue to compose after he lost control of the rest of his body. In 1999 and 2003 respectively, he released 2 albums titled raspberry jams and blackberry jams.

In 2018 he followed up with an additional album of new material called Triumphant hearts.

I feel like if companies like Roland or Yamaha who would be most capable of providing a run of braille synth buttons or UI’s for those with physical impairments are not doing just that, how far can we really say we’ve come as a society when a man who can only move his eyes and gesture with his neck was able to produce music 20 years ago and more recently, but no one has taken larger steps in that direction.

Sure some tiny eurorack company might be able to make excuses and most people will understand, but on the whole the industry has not progressed in the last 20 years or more towards those like Becker who are at a catastrophic disadvantage and still trying.

I’m not going to link his music because that’s clearly not the point of this thread but you can find it on youtube if you want. I do hope we as a society can put more focus on putting the healing power of music into the hands of more than just those who are able to grip the instruments, and give others a chance because they may still regardless be able to grasp those instruments.

6 Likes

Mutable Instruments (RIP) did change their LED’s to make them work for people with color blindness after realizing the problem with red/green. First by creating a mode where they would flash at different rates and then by replacing bicolor LED’s with 2 LED’s in friendlier colors. So mindful designers do care but may not be aware of everything when starting out.

25 years ago I came across a DX7 in a thrift shop in Glendale that had Braille labels for all the buttons. Supposedly it had belonged to Stevie Wonder. The street finds it’s own uses for things.

7 Likes

I took out the AR Mk2 after not using it for a long time.
Always hits me again how pad the pads are. Not as bad as the models but still not usable for people with hand problems. Still don‘t get it how they missed this opportunity on a maschine at this pricepoint. Shure its techno focused and finger drumming is not really the AR main forte. But again then why give halve of the real estate to those pads?

1 Like