Do all Elektron boxes have trouble with Program Changes?

I donā€™t know about the analog four.

But I have an Octatrack MKI and both Model:* devices. Program Change works like a charm and I make heavy use of it.

1 Like

Have you tried Direct Jump patten mode? Itā€™s under pattern modes in the manual

1 Like

From which device are you sendĆ­ng the program change? Works fine with OT, AR and AK here and also works fine from my daw, but some sequencers send the program change too late for Elektrons and thus it goes for another pattern cycle.

I donĀ“t think Direct Jump would help in this case.

1 Like

Ah, my bad, Iā€™ve never actually used it. Program changes have always worked fine for me too, but I only use them between Elektron boxes also

Thatā€™s correct, pcm changes seem to be sequential.

I tried using the midi map to send pcms via notes but there is a weird glitch where the first note plays twice which makes the pattern play one step behind.

Iā€™m sending PCMs from the MC-707

Afaik Elektrons expect the program change not at the end of the pattern, but a little earlier. It gives them time to cue the pattern.
If it works, it works great, but if the PC comes in too late, it will be executed after one more cycle has finished.
The Cirklon for example has a setting to send program changes earlier, in a daw you have different ways of sending PCs in time for Elektrons, but if your sequencer does not have any way of changing that, thatā€™s a real problemā€¦

The MC707 sends the note twice?

1 Like

ā€¦no gear can look into the futureā€¦since it remains unpredictableā€¦

and stepsequencers rely on their first downbeat NOW order to play whatā€™s next to come and start their next according pattern more than anything elseā€¦

so whatever sends out the order to change the pattern must say so BEFORE that first downbeat bar on the big 1 in measure countingā€¦

so in worst case scenarioā€¦uā€™ll need to put a programchange cc in the pattern beforeā€¦
with a FILL or HAPPENS AFTER xxx bars/rounds conditional trigā€¦

1 Like

No the MC-707 is only sending the note once. I read on another thread that someone else had the same problem when sending a note from the MPC so seems to be an A4 issue

1 Like

ā€¦because of plocking complexity options, elektron sequencers need to know upfrontā€¦
just a tiny littleā€¦but BEFOREā€¦no matter whatā€¦

u might wanna consider to give an elektron box the master sync jobā€¦
then ur free to place any change ccā€™s in many different ways to all gear that has to follow alongā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s a sync issue, they sink perfectly. The A4 is just crap at responding to PCMs

If youā€™re using multiple Elektron boxes and have different track multipliers, PC is a nightmare. Thatā€™s one of my biggest complaints about the whole line. It means I canā€™t use the OT song mode in the way I want. Itā€™s ridiculously. On top of that, the original boxes donā€™t have PC intervals available for odd numbered time signatures (5/4, 7/8, etc).

4 Likes

ā€¦not talking about sync issuesā€¦talking about patternchange issues hereā€¦
and if u want to avoid that a4 is keeps changing patterns always one round laterā€¦tell it to change pattern before the changeā€¦not on/at the changeā€¦

u can cheat by delaying all very first trigs of a pattern just a little tig via microtiming, thoughā€¦

3 Likes

My experience, as a non-expert, just reading the manual and expecting it to work, is that yes, all the boxes that I have used have issues with PC.

There are threads about it with OT=>DN, about it with A4 and AR, one kind soul went way into it and got Elektron to confirm a bug, but there is yet to be a fix. AR and A4 losing sync!? Can anyone explain this? - #47 by martin01

In general sync between my A4=>AR has been great. The other way around led to late changes on the A4.

ā€¦one last argument for the a4, since itā€™s my most favourite swedish box of allā€¦

analog heart, digital mindā€¦

it has to deal with the most complex realtime options possibleā€¦
this is no digital synthā€¦itā€™s four truu analog monosynth, always ready waiting every moment for an always next possible quick dress change on ALL itā€™s parametersā€¦
truu heavy sonic dutyā€¦iā€™m not aware of any other analog gear thatā€™s able to shapeshift that drasticly from one step to the next oneā€¦anytime U want it toā€¦

I THINK there is a bug in some current firmwares iirc - try setting auto channel to 16 on all machines - maybe that will help.

1 Like

I have just been playing around with this, just trying to have the Digitakt follow pattern changes from the Machinedrum.

Patternlength has to be the same length. The Digitakt would not change pattern, until the current pattern was finished.

/thomas

Yup. This is the case. You canā€™t just use the CH.LEN function if you have different pattern lengths or multipliers. Itā€™s brutal.

1 Like

I have the same experience. I always make sure I set every project between my Rytm Mk2 and OT Mk2 with the same amount of master bar lengths. Itā€™s one of the (many) things why too many Elektrons is too much work and setting up for me. Two tops:)

To be honest I thought the issue was only related to using Elektron boxes with external gear. Never thought thereā€™d be issues between Elektron boxes.

I take it back! I just figured out how to change A4 patterns in perfect sync with the MC-707! It works!

Thanks to @PekeDorty for the tip on setting the Auto channel to 16 on both machines. This did the trick :slight_smile: