DN free sounds? downloads? Share your sounds?

Could only see the uncanny valley soundpack for free! (only64sounds?) Seeing Richard Devine also has a DN and made a free A4 pack I’m hoping for the same with DN…

Bit dissapointing seeing the A4 has around 14 free packs! DN is almost 1 year old and only 1 free pack :thinking: I would love to see more free soundpacks please or do you forum users are willing to share your sounds?

I would like more free packs too but I feel the work that it takes to make these deserves to be paid so I personally dont mind to pay for a pack I really like.

5 Likes

Start a thread on elektronauts where people can share their patches- make it a community thing

Still hoping for that synthwave pack…:blush:

3 Likes

If you download all the demo soundpacks, you’ll get quite a bit of free sounds.

3 Likes

This will be way off-topic, but I would recommend to twiddle the knobs yourself and get into the DN-FM-method.

Elektron have made a FM-synthesizer, which can give us fantastic sounds, even if the user is not familiar with FM. That’s rare. I own a couple of FM-synths, but the DN is the only one, which allows to tweak this and that and it never feels weird or chaotic. The FM-synthesis of the DN is quite tamed and some FM-tricks - simply as is - won’t do, but on the other side we can just twiddle the knobs, listen, and have great fun … and very good sounds, whether it’s more “classical” or “industrial” or “glitchy” or …

IMO it would be a loss to use or wait for patches of others only. Trust your ears and your happy accidents and you will be rewarded with your personal signature sounds, because the odds are small that somebody else did exactly the same thing :wink:

10 Likes

I’m not waiting for other sounds! I already made around 60 sounds, even could have been way more, and yes I know FM (have my dx200 for ages, had Ni plugin,friend has DX7, have many 2Op Yamaha synths) and yes I know DN is great for happy accidents, super easy sounddesign, good quality sounds that’s why I bought it in the first place, and I know it’s a tamed version of FM and …

What I do find is that it’s pretty difficult almost impossible to make the DN sound very ‘dirty’, ‘bad’, crapsounds or how do you call it. It’s the most beautiful FM ever because some crucial parameters are not possible to edit!

I would appreciate it if other users are willing to share sounds just for fun, guidance into your sounddesign, to hear some other sounds, but whatever I will just continue to make my own.

1 Like

Maybe kick start the sharing, by sharing the 60 sounds you’ve made.

2 Likes

yeah maybe, but it’s still randomly made and saved in a bank: drums, perc, pads, haunting, depressive, dark, arps, industrial, glitchy etc and also need to resave them one by one with new parameters for aftertouch,Pb,…modulations I did not do yet because I didn’t attach an external keyboardcontroller yet! If I have around 128sounds I can start to arrange them and will eventually share a genre of sounds, maybe all my percs.

Yeah I’m a bit like that–create lots of original sounds, but don’t save them in a logical fashion.

1 Like

Just to share some ideas for “dirty” sounds.

I have to admit that I don’t like “dirty” sounds, which remind me of broken circuits, which seem to have a fizzling and buzzig distortion layered over a baseline tone. But with some synths - and the DN seems to one of them - it’s possible to create “dirty” and “glitchy” sounds, which are also “melodic” to my ears.

TBH I have my DN just for three weeks and would not call me anything like an expert. But I digged around in the sound engine to get some gritty nasty basses and some insight, what kind of glitchy dirty things I could extract.

My favourite start for glitchy - but nice - sounds has become applying a LFO to the oscillator settings.

• Modulating the Harmonics does not do something like a wavetable synth would. It has some similarity but using this in combination with FM changes everything. Using the triangle, saw, or exponential shape to scan through some waves, creates much gritt. And this can be done at hight frequency too, which would be FM an oscillator with a wavetable, which is scanned with audio rate speed :wink:
  • Modulating the frequency ratios is even more dramatic. Have I ever had a FM-synth allowing for this? Can’t remember.
  • Since the LFOs go very high in frequency (audio range) there are a lot of glitchy-sweet-spots on the way up or down the frequendy range. Sometimes only good for a small range of tones, but why not sample those and use them on the OT or only as is?
1 Like