DN + DT - Which is better for MIDI?

Recently acquired a Digitone, which I’m loving, and thinking of adding a Digitakt.

Obviously, both of them can sequence external gear via MIDI. So far, I’ve had the DN sequencing my eurorack and 0-Coast, which is perfect 'cos the 4 tracks of MIDI works well with my Yarns module. The DT would, however, open up the possibility of sequencing a few more of my standalone synths.

Melodic sequencing is lovely and intuitive on the DN. Is it as straightforward on DT too, or are there any limitations due to its drum machine roots? Can I still play in melodies from an external keyboard? Is one better than the other for sequencing simple polyphonic parts?

Any advice much appreciated.

1 Like

I don’t own a Digitone so I can’t compare but the Digitakt has a pretty cool MIDI sequencer! You can record a polyphonic sequence from an external keyboard in real-time, quantized or unquantized. You can also hold a trig and play the note/chord that you want to assign, so yeah I would say it’s pretty powerful and flexible!

I do experience some inconsistencies though, when I record something live it tends to miss some notes, but I didn’t find any similar stories on the interweb so I might be doing something wrong. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very similar. I’ve not used a Digitone but I believe it has an arpeggiator which the Digitakt doesn’t. I don’t know if it can be used on the MIDI tracks, but if it can I think that would be a big advantage.

1 Like

Hello Fuseball, as far as i know they have the same properties.

1 Like

You are not doing anything wrong, but you need to understand the concept of a step sequencer and its rigid time grid.

Each step (fixed time slice) can only hold a single note. You can move this note forward or backward in its own time slice by microtiming (so you can move two notes quite near to each other), but when you try to record, for example, 3 notes very fast behind each other it will fail.

6 Likes

One of the things I really like about the Digitone (and Digitakt) is the ability to set different scaling for the tracks. Gets around some of the limitations of step sequencers generally. It’s great that you can set the arpeggiator’s speed independent of that too. A shame that the MIDI tracks lack the arpeggiator but I have plenty of other options for that anyway.

The scaling feature alone is making the DN way more fun to use than my old Analog 4 mk1. I’m honestly not missing a song mode with this feature.

maybe worth to note: while digitone can do 8 note polyphony on 4 miditracks, digitakt can only do 4note poly, but on 8 miditracks…

otherwise they are pretty similar, midi wise, i think…

6 Likes

Nice one, I have both and it’s an awesome pairing. Perfect sofa rig too.

Oh, and yeah, I am that RiK :wink:

2 Likes

Since @AldoVino is too modest to post a link to his own YT channel, I’ll do it for him: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCCVgtMPRTC_adYMTQnfDmw

This should give you an idea of the midi possibilities of the DT with some of the gear you already own.

5 Likes

DN is nice with the selectable scales. I use it in conjunction with a midi solutions quadra thru and can send midi to 4 different devices at once, all on their own separate channel. Now that track scaling is a feature, you can flesh out long patterns and add more variety to your sequences with probability. Can’t speak for the Takt, but I love the DN. It’s the midi brain of my setup. Completely changed my workflow. Not sure if you have selectable scales with the DT.

1 Like

I just got both DN and DT…
The DN has scale and chord modes which is more advanced than DT,
But you only get 4 tracks and they both don’t do arps

2 Likes

Hello mate! I’d recognise that mushroom avatar anywhere. :wink:

Loving the look of that sofa rig. Thinking of swapping out my old MDUW+ for the Digitakt. Much as I like the versatility of the MD modelling, I think I’m in love with conditional trigs that bit more.

1 Like

At any one time I generally take one or two things from the studio for some casual noodling :slight_smile:

Note: No midi arpeggiator on Digitone unfortunately. Also the arp doesn’t even record the notes into the sequencer, which is totally crap.

Maybe it’s because I’m used to arpeggiators being part of a synth rather than the sequencer, but I never expect the arpeggiated notes to get recorded back into the sequencer. Traditionally you always recorded the “source” notes that get fed into the arp. The way it works currently seems normal to me.

Still, the lack of an arp on the MIDI tracks does feel like a bit of an oversight. If you had that then you could, theoretically, re-route the arpeggiated notes back into sequencer and record them. That said, almost every synth I’d be sequencing over MIDI has a built-in arp anyway.

4 Likes

Didn’t see this covered yet, but the DN has scales while the DT only has a chromatic mode for entering notes.

Digitone transposes sequences on the fly, which made me go for it.

And I’ll add that I will not buy Digitakt, because it cannot follow Digitone, if I transpose the sequence.

1 Like

How do you transpose a sequence on DN?

5 Likes

Thanks, didn’t realise could do this :+1:t3:

1 Like