DIY Home Studio Desk

Not sure where you are but here in Australia we have a hardware chain named bunnings…they have a range of bench tops that are cheap durable and look great…maybe you would be better off with something similar where you are located…MDF is garbage

4 Likes

:heart_eyes: Bunnings

HAHAHAHa…bogan, home improvement, world domination centres, for president of STRAYA…

Last time I bought a new home turntable (Project) 8 years ago, most brands were all about how glorious MDF was for making them. True or false?
Can’t say I’ve had an issue yet.

My first order when elected, chop down all the trees to prevent bush fires and build more bench tops and sheds.

If I understand correctly you’re talking about a turntable whose housing is made of mdf, right? That seems like a scenario where mdf would be fine. I don’t know if there would be any specific benefits to it but there might be, I’ve never considered that. There are applications where it’s fine. When I implied it doesn’t last in the long term I was thinking of more structural situations. I severely abbreviated my thoughts on the subject since it’s a discussion that could go on far too long. I’ve built a ton of stuff out of mdf (furniture, stage and scenery elements, museum exhibits, etc) that would probably last a long time in the right environments and with the right type of use but none of these things were subjected to regular heavy use. I’m curious about the turntable thing now, I’ll have to look that up. Thanks.

2 Likes

Platter and deck apparently. It is cut thick though.
Here’s an update of the one I originally got.
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/essential-iii/

also don’t forget to legislate that any garden or DIY activity must involve a diesel or petrol-fuelled machine at least half the size of the Bismarck as well.

Interesting. I just read the blurb. Seems like they’re using it because it’s not very resonant, which is true. Like any material it can resonate but it’s probably unlikely to do so in that kind of application, at least in any meaningful way. Cool idea.
I’m going to have to crunch some numbers regarding these properties in mdf. I’m always interested in material acoustics and stuff.

1 Like

That maybe explain why pro studio desk are built in MDF. Maybe a good idea would be to make the structure in wood and the platter and the top (where go monitors) in MDF.

Thread appropriation!!

I use an IKEA Galant as my studio desk. For those who know about this stuff, is it possible to DIY a pullout keyboard tray to fit an Alpha Juno 2? ( 972mm (W) x 246mm (D) x 85mm (H) / 7.5 kg ) or would it be structurally impossible/unwise?

is this a metal frame with wood (probably mdf and veneer) top? you could probably do it. the tray may be a little low if you have to clear the metal frame. easiest would probably be to anchor some wood to the top underneath to use as mounts for ball bearing drawer slides, then make a tray mount to slide out. i have a little slide out tray thing like that on my workbench in the basement. again, i’d check whether there’s enough clearance and see if the height of the tray would actually work for playing keys.

1 Like

Thank you!

Yes on the desk description.

Leaving aside ergonomics (something I would seriously look at), in terms of weight and size, hypothetically it should be ok?

it would probably work. worst case, i guess you could even build a small box to house it, like a keyboard garage with a sliding tray. mechanically, there are a bunch of ways that could work. i don’t have sketchup handy and am terrible with it, but you could mock up something to work out the details. i also wonder if one of those swing out/retractable keyboard stands would work for this application. it may be worth a look.

1 Like

Started working on a new shelf for my desk.
My AK will sit on it perfectly leaving a gap for angled plugs in the back.
Behind the AK my midi router will sit, and on top of that my SlimPhatty, and on top of that my MAM VF-11.
On the right of the phatty/MAM I’ll have a spot for the AH+FX
The whole shelf should sit elevated right behind my OT & RYTM.

Should be nice and clean now with everything sitting directly in front of me all within an arms reach.

4 Likes

Looks nice!

2 Likes

This is gonna work great

6 Likes

Here’s one I’ve been working on.

It’s not finished in both construction and, well, finish, but it’s going to be a few months before it’s consistently warm enough for me to feel like doing that.

So in the meantime I’ve just moved it i to my space to see how I feel about it. It replaces a 2-tier stand, so definitely a space saver. Not sure exactly what I’ll keep on it, pedalboard, EPS and Juno for sure.

3 Likes