Disturbing by kit, sound, tracks, pattern

I new into elektron philosophy,
i like how that sound but i am little bit disturbing when i want save a sound
when i work into a pattern and i want to save a sound, i have to save, the sound, the tracks, the kit, the patterne ?
how i can save a pattern in an otherplace than is initiate place ?
I use to sythé and it’s strange for me
thanks nice elecktron people
francois

You don’t have to worry about saving your pattern, that’s auto-saved, you should save your kit as soon as you’ve got something you like the sound of and keep saving regularly as you develop it.

The last kit you had assigned to a pattern as you exited that pattern (to load another pattern) will be the kit that pattern loads with next time.

You can save individual sounds to the sound pool, this used to be as simple as pressing function and sound, selecting save sound, naming and confirming and it was done. Now, it’s such a convoluted faff I can’t even remember how to do it off the top of my head, it’s something like- press function and sound, select SOUND MANAGER, left cursor to VIEW POOL and select, scroll down to first empty slot, right cursor to SAVE SOUND, select, name and confirm, go and make a cup of tea and have a rest.

Philosophy of AnalogFour is very simple. In AnalogFour (like in Monomachine) you have two devices in one – sequencer + synth engine.

From sequencer view: you have 4 tracks. Every track contains number of steps. Each step has its own physical button called “trig” (16 trigs button). Each trig contains instruction for synth engine to change its settings or produce sound. Power of Elektron sequencer is in possibility to have different values of any parameter which is allowed for editing on every step. So you can programm A4 to play different sounds on every step. This is really cool, because you can e.g. have the whole drum part with percussion only inside one track and using only one synth voice! The place (or entity) for storing all info about trigs and its parameters is called pattern. Every change made in pattern saves automatically. So you don’t need to save pattern while creating one. But it is a good idea to save pattern if you want to have possibility to undo changes in it. E.g. you play live and decide to delete some trigs from pattern or change something. In this case you have to save you pattern before changes. Now you can safety modify your pattern and reload it to initial state by pressing No + Pattern button.

From synthesis view: you have 4 synth voices assigned for 4 sequencer tracks. Settings of synth engine of these voices (plus additional settings) are stored in the kits. So, “Kit” is a fundamental entity of synth engine in terms of Elektron synths because only kit contains sound settings (patches) of all 4 tracks. Not sound! Only kit. “Sound” (in terms of Elektron) is a synth patch of only 1 synth voice. Sounds were created to allow user to save individual sounds/patches separately from kits and construct kit with already created sounds. Also “sounds” helps to lock huge amount of parameters of synth voice to one trig by selecting sound from sound pool. It is not necessary to use sound-locks – you can lock every parameters manuially but it is not useful. Sounds are placed in Sound pool of each project or +Drive memory. Extreamly important thing --“kit” is always assigned to “pattern”! So one kit can be shared by many patterns, and changing of any synth settings will affect all patterns with the same kit assigned. The good idea at the begining of learning A4 is to have one kit per pattern. Thus, for saving sounds of you synth tracks you must save only kits. But if you have new interesting sound on the one of your synth tracks you can save it to sound pool or +Drive for later reuse in another kits.

1 Like

Ooh, sorry, I forgot to answer your question about saving a pattern into another location.
In playback mode (not in recording mode) press FUNCTION and RECORD, that will copy the pattern, then select the pattern location where you would like to transfer the pattern to then press FUNCTION and STOP and your pattern will be pasted there.

@Uturunku

THANK YOU! That was the most eloquent explanation that at least for my brain, just made everything click, as am a hardware synth keyboard player, totally new to “Elektron Philosophy”, and am printing this out and also placing it in my brain’s hard drive! LOL
Thanks so much as I love the A4 sound engine but have had trouble clicking with architecture …until now~

thanks, that helps clean things up!

: U turunku

writing things out onto a piece of paper and will place this next to my A4 … thanks a lot!

there is one remark I d like to make, but this may be ignored to avoid confusion …
you say when you assign a KIT to a pattern whenever this pattern is reacalled it will recall the assigned KIT

( make this pattern H1 = Kit STARS and you have pattern H2 = KIT MOON then switching / chaining H1 + H2 will only
(imho, please correct me)

recall KIT 2 = Moon if you have “switch on reload” enabled,

otherwise H1 AND H2 will use the KIT = STARS)

holy shit, i am too confusing :- (

I believe the Kit Reloading will revert to the saved state of the kit when the assigned pattern starts to play.
If Kit MOON and Kit STARS are two different kits and H1 and H2 are linked to each of them…then chaining should switch between both Kits

[quote="“sicijk”"]

I believe the Kit Reloading will revert to the saved state of the kit when the assigned pattern starts to play.[/quote]
that makes sense!

That was really helpfull, I feel like I just started to understand my machine!!

I’m still confused with some features though… I started creating one project per song, but now, I want to put them together in one project for live performing. How is this done? I copied a pattern to a new project and that worked fine, but the kit attached to ti wasn’t there… It seems like kits are saved in the individual sound pool of each project, right? If so, how can I take kits into different projects? Or is there another way of taking my eight patterns song with it kits to another project?

Thanks!

Ashes, you don’t think in terms of Projects per song. Think of a Project as a collection of songs. Think Bank per song

I haven’t got this far on my AK yet but if it still works like a Machinedrum then you can sysex dump a range of patterns and kits to the C6 program. Once you have that saved then you can load up the project you want those patterns on and send the sysex data back to the new project. The menu on the A4 should allow you to select where the range of patterns will be saved to. Just make sure you do not overwrite the wrong banks.
It is probably a good idea to do a full sysex dump prior to playing around so you have a restore point if all hell breaks lose. Keep in mind that +Drive snapshots will not get dumped automatically. You will need to load up each +Drive snapshot and do a separate sysex dump for each one you want to save. Chances are you have only been using one so you should not need to do 128 sysex dumps.
I suggest finding the kits and pattern ranges of all the songs you want in your live set. Sysex dump each kit and range of patterns. Once exported to C6, label the track title and it would help you to also include how many patterns are used in that song as well for when you are loading them back into a new project.