Distortion on Analog Four Track Sound -Where is Fix?

Getting a horrible Distortion sound on one instrument sound on one of my tracks. Been trying to find which parameter/menu to get rid of it for an hour. tried everything- no luck… Its just an annoying distorted instrument sound, almost sounds over modulated… Im new to the A4…Any suggestions where to look?

Is there a way to reset all parameters to zero and start fresh with each sound?

Filter page? Any midi input connected?
Also check LFO destinations and amounts.

1 Like

thanks. will look. No Midi hooked up, haven’t gotten that far.

check AM (second page for general/global params ‘behind’ the OSC2 page) - there’s so many routes to get modulations happening

why not save your sound, then clear each page back to defaults, whenever you remove the modulation/distortion then reload the sound and look at that page
page+clear wipes it

if it was me I’d save and just explore each and every parameter to get a feel for all the other possibilities to make a sound get out there - don’t forget to look at performance settings and make sure they aren’t raising values that look okay (also p-locks on seq)

1 Like

When in doubt clear all page parameters. That’s what I do on my Octatrack.

How do I clear all Parameter Locks?

how do I do that? its all new to me.

Also, when I highlight Track button (red) and hit it 2x to change a sound, hit yes, the new sound is not loading. For example I see ‘Vangelist’, I hit Yes, it says ‘Loaded’, but it doesn’t change the track to Vangelist…, it keeps the same sound I had before…

Yes, playing around with some parameters, Arps etc., this thing blows me away.
Like out of another Planet. Cant wait to learn it and get an Octatrack.

To clear page parameters you simply hold the page you want and press clear aka play

Thanks, but doesn’t that delete everything you’ve done on the Track the Page is on?

Yep. You can clear one page at a time if you like, and see if it fixes your sound. Then, just press clear again and it’ll undo the clear.

1 Like

OK thanks for the tip. Trying to wrap my head around 1000 things.

I also noticed you can only set the same number of beats per patten, and not ‘per track’, on the Page function… In other words can I have 4/16 on track 1, 13/16 on track 2, 32/32 on track 3, 40/48 on tk 4, as example?

If you want scale per track get an Octa or a digi and sequence your A4 that way.

I have a Digitakt, haven’t worked with it much. I guess you can still build separate patterns on The A4 as a ‘work-around’ for achieving scale per track (?) Yes, Octatrack is on my wish list.

I don’t see how separate patterns would do scale per track as each pattern would still be tied to the master scale…

I said use DT but I don’t have one and I’m just assuming it has scale per track. I think I heard it does. If you have your DT midi sequencing your analog four then you can totally do it that way.

ok, I don’t work with MIDI at all. (Not since 1986).
(Off-Topic), but how close to understanding Octatrack is Analog four?

I actually mean 4 steps for track one, then 8 steps on track 2, 15 steps for track 3 etc. doesn’t seem that difficult that A4 or any sequencer would be able to do that. Clock dividers and multipliers in a way, but repeating steps if you know what I mean.

In elektron terminoloy this is called “per track scaling” and the A4 can not do this

MIDI is annoying to wrap your head around at first and I’m still learning myself. I don’t go near as deep as most the folks here. But all you’ll need to do is connect the midi out of the DT into the midi in of the A4 and then make use of the DT’s midi sequencing. This means that your sequences will reside on the DT and not on the A4.

Just plug things in and try it out and come back when you get stuck.

The Octatrack is a whole other ballpark, but learnable if you’re open and dedicated and stay humble.

1 Like

I will try locking both A4 and Digitakt per your suggestions. Thanks.