Direct-recorded Pickup loops way louder than Thru loops

The recorded volume of a Pickup with SRC=A is way louder than a pickup recorded with SRC=Thru, even though all my volume and gain settings are zeroed.

Input A is my guitar (from a mixer).

Track 1 is a Thru Machine, input A
Track 2 is a Pickup Machine, input A
Track 3 is a Pickup Machine, input Track 1 (the Thru machine).

If I record a loop on Track 3 (SRC is the Thru Machine), then the recording volume matches the input volume perfectly.

If I record a loop on Track 2 (direct from input A), the result is really loud.

Why the volume discrepancy? Gain and volume settings in the OT mixer are all at 0. Gain settings on both pickup machines are at 0, and I have no effects that change volume.

Any ideas? It’s driving me nuts.

I tried. I had similar levels. Maybe you changed some parameters in the Thru track, like Playback VOL or AMP VOL.
Try with a new project if you don’t find.

1 Like

After further testing, it looks like the reverse is happening. The samples taken from the thru track are too quiet, and the samples direct from the A input are correct.

I got confused because I was listening through headphone instead of through my hardware mixer.

Still, same problem of volume difference.

I’ve started a new project. Same thing. Very odd.

Try setting THRU PLAYBACK VOL to +63.

With headhones it’s better to listen Main only (Mixer > Level)

1 Like

I found something similar today. When recording inputs A+B with a record trig, then playing back that sample from the buffer, the output is much louder than a default “thru” track drawing from the same inputs, which sounds very quiet at the default “12 o’clock” position. The “thru” volume for inputs A B must be increased to 100% to exactly (?) match the recorded sample (tested by ear, cross fading between the tracks using scenes controlling xvol). This is with a new project with no other gain/volume adjustments.

I probably need to learn more about the Octa’s gain staging…

Excellent. I wonder what’s happening there?

I created a new project, and the same thing happens. to eliminate Pickup Machines, I recorded to two Static Machines with recording trigs, one from AB, one from the Thru. Same thing.

Try THRU PLAYBACK VOL =+63

2 Likes

That fixes it!

I wonder why it’s needed though?

I don’t know because I don’t kneed it with a new project. Same level for SRC3 = T1 Thru and INAB recordings.

Did you change other parameters except recording parameters?

No, not in the new project. I set the three tracks for thru, pickup, and pickup, set their recording settings, and that’s it.

Overdub off?
I can do more test later…maybe you can describe or take pictures of all your settings in a new project to reproduce the behavior.
MKII or MKI?

I’ll take photos of the settings.

Overdub is set to the default fora new project. Also, the same thing happens with static machines, so I don’t think it’s the pickup, necessarily.