Digitools: A Utility for Editing Digitone Sound Names and Tags

hey, just back at it after a long work time.

so digitools -h works and lists me all the commands.
its just that i get this error when trying to print the sysex:

(base) C:\Users\david>digitools print bank_a.syx
Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘bank_a.syx’

so i tried creating a syx file, learned to install midi-ox and manual dump a soundbank from the digitone as syx file.

then i tried this
(base) C:\Users\david>digitools export C:\DATA\Sound\Digitone\bank_a.syx
Error: Invalid SysEx message encountered

(base) C:\Users\david>digitools print C:\DATA\Sound\Digitone\bank_a.syx
Error: Invalid SysEx message encountered

ok so if just tell him to print bank_a.syx without having a file then digitools complains that no such file exists.

if i create a file like this it doesnt like it.

i’m fighting forward but am stuck here…

There is a chance that after the latest firmware updates they have changed something in the SysEx format. I haven’t recently tried the tool after the latest updates.

Please do one test to help identify the root cause. Download and use the sample SysEx file named sounds_dn.syx from my repository:

This is an old SysEx file that worked with the tool. If even this file doesn’t work, then we still have some issue with using the tool. However, if this file works fine, then there is something about the SysEx file you have. I can think of two possibilities:

1. Elektron has a made change to the file format in recent firmware updates
  2. The file you are exporting is somehow different or corrupted

I’ll try to dump a new SysEx from my machine as test as well. But please update me with the results.

hey,
so when using your file the print command works fine and gives me a list of the sounds in the file.

the export command returns an error:

(base) C:\DATA\Sound\Digitone>digitools export sounds_dn.syx
Error: ‘charmap’ codec can’t encode character ‘\u25cf’ in position 41: character maps to

one more thing that is still a bit unclear to me: digitools does not create a syx file from the sounds in my digitone?
because the print command seems to already need an existing syx file and then lists its content in the command window, right?’
the export command exports the syx file to csv.

so is it correct have to create a syx file on my own (with midi-ox or what else?) and then use digitools to translate it to a csv ?

i thought this tool would do that too.

sorry i am confused. but hey, i learned a ton of new stuff here :smiley: