Digitone without Overbridge?

Hello there,

i am a new Digitone owner and love it so far. Unfortunately, i am not really digging the whole Overbridge workflow. The dryness of the signal, the whole clunky setting up of the midi tracks, it just feels like a mess, and i would much rather do all the creative work within my little box, use the LFOs and stuff for sounddesign and then record it into Logic. I dont really need to automate the DN via Logic either, i rather mangle what i created afterwards using my AU plugins.

So i am curious, whats your setup if anyone here works similarly? I see that there is a setting “MIDI over USB” instead of “Overbridge” in the USB config menu on the Digitone. But when i check this and also check “receive clock”, i am not receiving any clock from Logic. Is there anything i am missing here?

I basically just want to sync the transport and the clock between the Digitone and Logic, but then work with the built in sequencer to do the actual work. Have the pattern i am building on the DN play along my Logic song, and once i am happy with it record it into Logic. Do i have to hook up a MIDI cable or is there a trick to make it work over USB - or is there even some better way to do this?

Thanks so much in advance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My advice is to work exclusively with DN for a bit. See how much you can squeeze out of it. Having two LFOs per track (plus envelopes on amp and filter) is really flexible. Plus, all of the sequencer madness Elektron is known for. Forget OB for a while and only go there when you want to multitrack something or if you really just need one or two more parameters being affected by automation etc. Enjoy your new box - it really is a killer synth and a surprisingly good drum machine too :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: Welcome to the forum too!

3 Likes

Thanks for your response!

Yeah, i am absolutely with you - actually i already am at the point that you are suggesting :slight_smile: i love working just with the box and i want to keep it that way for now.

My question is just pretty much: how to hook it up to my DAW -without- using the Overbridge plugin? can i sync it up to my DAW transport and clock with the USB cable while still doing all the programming on the box? i ONLY want to sync the tempo, clock and transport and have the DN sequencer play along my DAW automatically :slight_smile:

And thanks for the warm welcome!!

Yes, this is perfectly possible. I don’t even use the plug-in. My DN is basically a sound card (with those inputs that can be used with Master distortion, chorus, delay and reverb!). I don’t use Logic, but I imagine the process is similar to Ableton Live. So, just use the USB cable for clock/transport (I.e. pressing play or stop in Logic starts and stops the DN in sync). You can send midi notes to DN via Logic too but that’s not really necessary and also DN has a bug with hanging (endless) notes when being sequenced by other machines annoyingly. Have you read through the OB manual? It goes over exactly what you want with some examples. A great resource!

2 Likes

I have that workflow with my DN as long as overbridge don’t work like I should with 1000000 stuck notes per session.

I use midi via USB and route audio with TS 1/4” cables into my analog heat and I send sync from studio one to my DN and its works for me.

2 Likes

This is exactly what i want to do, i just feel i am missing a step in the setup. I hooked up the USB, setup “MIDI via USB” on my DN and “clock receive” in the settings, but i am not receiving any clock. Did you setup anything in Ableton to send out the clock, or did it just work on its own? I feel like i should go through the manual a bit more i guess.

Also craig: you use the DN built in distortion and FX for your Ableton tracks? Did you have to choose the Digitone as Audio interface in Ableton, or how do you make this happen?

Thanks for your replies!

1 Like

No no, I meant anything else plugged into the two inputs on DN can use those effects. Enter the Master page for more on that - it’s written in blue on DN box, last of the pages, not near my DN to say exactly what the button is (FUNC + LFO maybe?). Have you put DN into Overbridge mode? It pretty much just works for me after that. Ableton Live sees it as an Input and Output device.

1 Like

You need to send clock from logic. Have you checked that box in logic?

4 Likes

Ohhh now i am getting it to work, thanks so much guys!

Portray: this is what i needed to know! I am working with Logic for over a decade but this is my first hardware box, so i have never dealt with the MIDI sync settings :smiley: - it runs along with it smoothly now!

And thanks for the tip craig, i am going to hook up two cables to my DN input now and use the Logic IO plugin to use it as an effect box! especially looking forward to try out the overdrive, you can never have enough distortion algorithms in your arsenal!

Thanks so much guys!! I like this way better than the clunky Overbridge, the way the plugin window looks scares me off already. I bought this think specifically to not use plugins all the time :laughing: :laughing:

3 Likes

Yey. Glad you got it sorted. Have fun! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You are welcome! Neat to hear that it works now!

I have Analog heat, but the overdrive on DN is super nice. Just plug in a synth and enjoy or just use it on DN :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I use overbridge it’s typically only in standalone mode to record the audio tracks.
So much simpler than setting up the daw.

Click on the tape icon in the menu bar.
The app is in the electron folder.

I do setup the audio routing to record each channel and fx though.

2 Likes

Okay, i am playing around with this now and instantly realize one thing:

when i hit play in Logic, its only really in sync with the DN when i start at the very beginning of my arrangement, basically at 00:00.

If i start it in the middle of a pattern, or even one full cycle later, its terribly off sync and stutters. That cant be normal can it?

EDIT: figured it out. There is a setting for that too in the MIDI sync settings in Logic, where you can tell it how to behave regarding starting/stopping in the cycle. I should try more first and ask later. Sorry for bothering :blush:

3 Likes

i’m pretty sure you’ll find lots of logic specific stuff in overbridge threads…it seems slightly trickier than ableton but many seem to get it working well.

depending on mac/pc , os , version of logic , cpu , usb port , memory , time of day , weather , if any chickens are nearby , if you’ve eaten recently, how tall you might be…

that type of thing.

3 Likes

I use Overbridge for recording, even when I’m only recording a stereo mix of the main outs with FX baked in. I prefer it over an audio interface/mixer for two main reasons:

1. Start/stop sync is rock solid. Way better than midi in my experience.
  2. It’s all digital. You get the exact digital audio from the Digitakt/Digitone/etc. Doing it via an audio interface means adding two DA/AD conversions.
3 Likes

Hi all - trying to connect the Digitone straight into Logic as I thought the usb class compliant thingy allowed it.

So connecting it through USB and creating a midi track, I can select the Digitone as an external midi instrument but cannot hear neither sound when playing nor cannot record anything (sound or midi event).
Tried all channels but no dice, USB over midi is ticked on the Digitone, etc. What is the protocol / routing to record either midi events or audio in Logic since the latest firmware update? Help / advice much appreciated.

Main Menu - System - USB Config - Overbridge

Then just use the overbridge plug in.

There’s a setting to chang “audio to main” to auto that you’ll want to do as well.

Thanks og.

Thought it was possible to use it precisely without overbridge (in line with the thread’s title).

Also heard that overbridge was crashing Catalina so I have not installed it yet.

No one using Logic Pro who tried to go “overbridgeless” since the firmware update?

Could you please send me some pics or a detailed explanation of how you set it up? I really don’t get any sound in Logic with only usb audio/midi