Digitone why's and whatnots

Why is it in a small box format? - seems cramped
Why the voice limitations especially on the Digitone Keys.?
Why the send effects?
Why no simple mixer page on either machine?
Why don’t the LFO destinations cover every parameter?
Why does it sound better but I feel I work harder to make a sound?
Why the screen? OLED? just like the old pixel screen but a different colour.
Why choose a processor that is limited?
Why not individual outputs?
Why not colour the OLED screen for each track. RED track 1 YELLOW track 2 GREEN track 3 MAGENTA track 4 so every time you change track to edit you know.(does that make sense)
Why different mute modes? understandable ,
But WHY so confusing.

With a track record of man machine potential …I find myself asking questions …

1 Like

Aren’t all processors limited? Most of these concerns you have with the box, if implemented would increase the production costs. Then people would be complaining about the cost. Working harder to create better sounds might be due to the digital nature or because it is FM, which can sound very harsh at times. Many analog synths have a lot of sweet spots due to the analog signal path. You should focus on the positives of the Digitone in what it CAN do and not the negatives. Limitations also breed creativity. Sorry if this came off a little abrasive but I’ve personally never found any of the things you mention to be limiting in my ability to write music or come up with good ideas with the Digitone.

Your last suggestion I will give you props for, coloring the OLED screen for different tracks would be a great addition. Some of these things may be able to obtain with future updates, however don’t bank on features that aren’t already there coming down the line.

6 Likes

These are transient frustrations. Keep using the DT and eventually the navigation of menus will begin to be absorbed in your pseudo conscious mind so you can be thinking about the sound you want rather than all the limitations you have.

Portability and convenience of placement.

So the DSP won’t glitch out. What’s missing is the recognition that the flexibility of the sequencer allows for the impression of far greater number of voices.

To simplify an already convoluted interface.

To minimize unwanted glitches.

The plants in my garden are shedding their leaves in preparation for winter.

So that it’s easier to shoot youtube videos.

So that the Digitone is affordable to more people.

So that the Digitone is affordable to more people

So that the Digitone is affordable to more people

To facilitate live performance, where muting and unmuting is the main part of playing the instrument.

Trust me, Elektron boxes are way less confusing than they used to be.

13 Likes

Unfortunately everyone seems to have an opinion on how stuff should be designed nowadays, and also unfortunately a large percentage of those people have very little idea of what goes into designing a product, and the technical and conceptual considerations involved.

This is not meant to be a criticism aimed at you @dee I think most of us fall into this way of thinking, the internet kind of encourages it.

I think the best thing to do is submit feature requests for things that can be changed in software, for physical things though you just have to accept them or get rid. It is tough though, sometimes I just can’t get along with a piece of gear for a reason like one in your list, yet I like many other things about it. However I have come to realise for me personally often the best thing to do is get rid, as I tend to avoid using it anyway, no matter how good it sounds etc.

14 Likes

I like and agree with mostly everything you wrote above… except that thing you wrote above and below the rest…

I trust you. But do you consider the MachineDrum confusing??

1 Like

I’ve submitted feature requests…
im, maybe cruelly comparing the present offerings to the old feature rich.
individual outputs.
and the delay per part/machine on MnM…
Its not too much too wonder about is it…?

1 Like

Quite a big list of reasons for you not to buy the Digitone there.

It’s not for everyone.

I think the answer to most of your questions is that the Digitone is designed to meet a particular price point. A price point which dictates a certain amount of compromises. Most of your questions relate to these compromises.

6 Likes

I haven’t had the chance to use one. I am mainly speaking of the dark trilogy OT, A4, and AR. Especially the OT, which I grow to love more with each passing year.

If you have a MD, what was it like to learn it? I’m genuinely curious, and not trying to fish for some particular response.

I just wanted to say that I didn’t see any “what nots” in your post :stuck_out_tongue:

These all seem like engineering decisions , flexing knowledge of code from systems they know, and cost. It’s also creative vision and a choice they get to decide as instrument makers.

6 Likes

I own a Digitone. and a Monomachine and a MachineDrum and an Octatrack .

I like the Digitone. I don’t love it like the others …it seems stunted and missing obvious chunks.

Hence my wants and wonderings

I thought that too… . i’ll edit it… I’m sure that list will be just as long…

2 Likes

I’m only teasing, it’s fine :slight_smile:

I think the point of the two Digi boxes is that they have certain limitations, but that those limitations are (hopefully) ones that inspire creativity rather than dull it.
Unfortunately, some people will find those limitations annoying and a detriment to their creativity. I’ve felt exactly as you do about other synths. I always found that the best thing to do is to get rid and move on to something that suits my workflow better.

1 Like

You forgot some…
Why is it black?
Why are the buttons square?
Why is the screen on the left?
Why is the sky up there?

Sorry, just being goofy. It is what it is, you could make a similar list of why questions for any peice of gear. If you dont like it get rid of it.
I really like the Digitone. I dont see any limitations at all. Its a synth, and just like any other synth, I have no expectations for it to provide any features other than what the manual describes.

6 Likes

Tbf, the Digitone keys would have benefited by combining the dual menus into a single menu- would have bought it in a heartbeat- that’s sorta a limitation

2 Likes

I could reply with an equally trite response, but i’ll leave it shining as it is.

2 Likes

Oh its a lovely thing! I bought the Monomachine first and used it for about 2 years prior to getting hold of the Machinedrum. It was 2nd nature

I think the Machinedrum UW is the finest electronic instrument created in the last 20 years.

Maybe I shouldn’t compare the past with the present… but I am and will.

:rofl:

2 Likes

oh @avantronica thanks for the little editorial idea… I will leave the thread title as it is for now.

Just to clarify. Last night was a gamble with the Digitone. Whether to keep it or sell and put the cash towards Keys version… Still undecided. I think it’s a great instrument but the odd limitations and quirks are maddening.

Do each of the tracks really need a stereo output… with only 8 voices. … its like overkill and underkill

Everybody’s requirements, likes/dislikes are different so it would be impossible to make a device that satisfies everyone.

When I got the Digitone, the first thing I noticed was that I much preferred it’s compact size compared to the A4.

Nothing on your list of dislikes really bothers me, yet what I dislike most about the Digitone (the over bright LEDs plus the unnecessary play and stop LEDs) you don’t mention.

2 Likes