Digitone versus Ableton Live Operator

Fixed mode won´t give you tuning which I think @chapelierfou is after.

1 Like

Oh, ok… You really cannot tell the difference — even from the Digitone sound demos?
Let’s just say I don’t agree.

1 Like

Any synth with some decent chorus and reverb can sound lush if programmed right. If you compare the raw sound engines out of the two, the Operator is more flexible. Far from flat, harsh and uninspiring as you describe it.

5 Likes

Do you own the Digitone? I AM talking about the the raw sound engine and really cannot agree. Maybe I was exaggerating a bit about Operator, it is after all quite subjective but I still think most people will feel that the sounds you can get with the DN are much more full, real, crisp and organic or has character.

Personally I’ve spend years trying to convince myself that software had be come as good as hardware. After having used the Analog Rytm and now the Digitone I can see how much I’ve been missing. I’m now much more satisfied with the sounds and the music I get out of these machines. And I do still have good soft synths that I will be using. But not Operator! :grin:

2 Likes

Well, the DN is just software in a box basically? Don’t see why software shouldn’t be able to match it in terms of sound quality.

6 Likes

I wish it was so but use your ears! Again go the sound demos and listen closer if you don’t own the unit. It’s not that hard to hear and you will have to put in a lot of work to even get close to the full timbre of those synths and drums etc.
There’s just no way I can agree to what you are saying here but if you’re happy with Operator that’s great.

Exactly, what comparison! The Digitone is perhaps the best digital synth I’ve seen in 30 years! Operator was a yawn.

1 Like

As someone who uses Operator almost exclusively i feel offended !

6 Likes

Just don’t listen to him. I know plenty of Pro’s (Drum N Bass, Techno guys) which using Operator for nearly everything.

For FM, Operator is my go-to synth and it was all over my first vinyl release. It’s a beast !!!

4 Likes

Haha Operator isn’t made by Elektron so what did you expect to hear on an Elektron forum :joy:

2 Likes

Don’t own the Digitone but I doubt the fm sound engine makes that huge difference.
Maybe it’s the filter that makes people feel it more lush? Digital elektron filters are really nice.
Or the effects. Operator has no effects built in obviously.
Also one had to compare similar patches of clean sounds to make a statement imo…

I think Operator is a great 4 operator fm synth, with a very intuitive interface.
The new filter algorythms since live 9 are also nice.

1 Like

Dont think Operator lacks in any means by audio quality. Its also in terms of features ahead of digitone. Just the super fast and flexible sequencer with p locking , which makes all the difference. Thats also all possible in Ableton with automation, however its by far not as intuitive and fun, and therefore less likely to find the sweet spots.

on a sidenote, automation really sucks in ableton and is its the biggest flaw imho. The knobs have often a way to low resolution, you get stepping and artifacts. Bitwig is much better in that regard. Still not so much fun as elektron.

3 Likes

No.

It’s simple, Operator, like any other instrument, needs some work to get what you want.
Still one of my go-to synths, after 10+ years of use.

TBH, Operator is one of the main reasons why I’m not interested in getting a Digitone at the moment.

4 Likes

anyone up to make an sound comparison. should be possible to dial in similar envelopes and ratios.

1 Like

The main draw for me is live performance. And just putting my hands on parameters. Not as easy to do that with Operator.

That’s a good reason to get one.
For live, I just stick my FM sounds into the OT and complement them with the FM machines on the AR.

1 Like

Operator is a flat out masterpiece virtual synth and a big reason I use Ableton. Digitone looks awesome as well, but there really is no comparison from a price/result standpoint. For price of DN you can almost afford the whole Ableton suite. They will take you to different places. Operator is more of a traditional 4-op FM synth. So if coming from the DX world, it will make more sense to you. DN is a hybrid, w/ some analog-style processing thrown in and the elektron sequencer, if that’s your thing. Capable of nice tones, are both. Depends on your needs, which you buy, use. 8-voices vs as many as your cpu can handle. I

3 Likes

I mean I have a push 2 but as people have stated it’s still a pain even with the push 2.

In terms of the AR, after having a MKI I thought long and hard about the MKII and decided to go the DN/DT route instead because having the A4MKII and modular I already have the analog I need, and those two give me more flexibility than the ARMKII would.

Everyone has their own way of doing things.

8 voices, 4 tracks :wink:

Post updated!

1 Like