Digitone Solid Bass tips?

Hello everyone,

I was surprised that there are no tutorials on the internet on how to recreate solid bass patch from DX7 on Digitone. I struggle to get my bass to sound fat with a nice top end.

Any tips on how to achieve this kind of bass sound?

i got pretty close just mimicking the settings for Lately/Solid Bass on the 4-op DX’s (I believe Algo 5 on the Digitone is the one that most closely matches the DX Algo 2)

but it’s hard to get true 1:1 since DX allowed for a different waveform for each Op. but tweaking the waveshape on Syn 1 and getting the Feedback level just right can get reasonably close, in my experience.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I’ll give it a try

Easiest thing ( though not as cheap ) is to buy a tx81z or other old fm box that has latelybass on it

Instead of spending hours on it , spend a little money on it instead.
Use digitone to do something new sonically.
Or buy soft synth.

Not quite the answer of doing it on digitone - but definitely another option.

Volca FM2 also does a solid Lately Bass and is very affordable. Lotta bass out of that box in general.

You can use 2 tracks and the layer function.
So 1 track can be the bottom end, the other can be the top end.

Digitone has masses of low end, and will pierce your eardrums with high end so no problem there.

4 Likes

I couldn’t find any clean examples of the solid bass patch, only from this video:

anyway, here’s a sloppy go at this sound:

and in square flavor:

3 Likes

Here is a Digitone track, with a “DX Lately bass” like sound. Not exactly the same, but similar.

2 Likes

is also a great video

3 Likes

In this thread people say A036 tx bass is similar. Can‘t test now

the couple of TX Bass presets are . . . okay (imo). a good starting point for tweaking but don’t quite have the snappy brightness of the original to my ears

1 Like

In addition to that being a good video there is a link in the description to a zip file with a bunch of the DN patches he used in the video. What’s even better is that there is a nice version of Solid Bass in the zip file that doesn’t get featured in the video. Along with a few other useful things like DX7 style strings etc.

4 Likes

ohh, that’s super nice,I didn’t notice that there was a zip file to download with the patches!! thanks

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

This (excellent) video is not about creating the exact bass sound you are looking for but will explain you the techniques how you could do it yourself:

1 Like

Keep tweaking, i just keep stumbling into these ridiculous bass sounds, i have an a4mk2 which you would think would make a better bass machine what with being analog and whatnot but i keep ending up with the digitone as a bass, pad/texture/ambience and bass,