Digitone or Analog Four Mk1 For my setup?

Looking to choose this month between these two, available for 500 each.

I currently have a digitakt and a behringer neutron.
Really like to sequence synths from ableton anyway and use them alongside vsts.

Anyone own both and can offer some input?

Both are great.
Fm synth vs analog synth.
Digitone has more voices and less features. Easier to use imho.

A4 is deeper, has songmode, kits and performance macros. Sweet spots are harder to find imho.

For me it often changes which I like better.
They sound very different.

6 Likes

Have both. Digitone sounds lovely if you like FM sounds and easy leap from digitakt in terms of use. A4 mk1 offers song mode, kits and some deeper sequencing and performance features to add to the takt. Think it comes down to sound you need really. If I could only keep one I’d pick a4 as I love the sound and features but think I’m in the minority.

1 Like

If you can get them for 500 … I wouldn’t hesitate getting both.

4 Likes

I would personally rather get the A4, but it’s not really a traditional polysynth if you want one. It can perform as a polysynth, but it’s strenghts are in sound effects due to endless modulation options and drum synthesis. I’m sure the Digitone is more versatile and lush if you like FM synths.

1 Like

Since you already have a capable analog machine(neutron), I would suggest DT.
Its nice to have both, digital and analog machines, plus you already have a sampler

buuut if I could only bring one synth to the desert island it would be A4

T

1 Like

100% get Digitone. You’ll appreciate the workflow / form factor similarities etc. with Digitakt. And it’s a great sounding box! More versatile than A4 too.

The A4 is worse in every way: sound, workflow, difficulty, FX quality, size, aesthetics… I’d strongly urge you to avoid it.

1 Like

What kind of results are you after? These are very different boxes. Neither “worse” than the other, just different.

Since you are already using Ableton, what would the Digitone provide that you couldn’t already do with Collider or some other FM VST?

1 Like

to my ear, the A4(mk1) has much better sounding filters (delay, reverb) than digitone, also fx quality as low-pass high-pass are noticable nicer on a4.

But the arrangment/song making capability is better in DT, and there are some better hands-on approach interface solutions, maybe easier to do sound design (easier to do punchy stuff), but a bit less deep than a4

1 Like

I have the A4 mki, DT, and DN. If you are pairing with the DT you can’t go wrong with the DN. I love my A4 but its sound is a bit polarizing for many people. The DN is a crowd pleaser (based on my experience and from various opinions/reviews) and generally mirrors the DT’s workflow. It also has 8 voices which can be handy! You won’t go wrong with either but I feel like the DN is a guaranteed win for most users…

If I had to have one I would choose A4, but you can’t go wrong with either. That said, you already have an analog synth as has been previously mentioned, so if you like the sound of FM synths then go with the Digitone. They’re both deep enough machines to do pretty much whatever you want, but the A4 is indeed deeper in terms of features (though not necessarily more sonically flexible). It really comes down to if you prefer the sonic qualities of analog vs FM synths - if you don’t have an idea in your mind about the difference in sound between one or the other definitely watch a bunch of videos featuring different kinds of analog and fm synths until you have a feel for it, then make a decision (and quick because that’s a pretty good deal on both synths).