Digitone + Nord Drum 2

I most likely used the air effects compressor on the Mpc Live. And those effects are great

1 Like

To make this even clearer for any future readers: you can switch kits on ND2 from Digitone by setting your MIDI track as follows, for e.g. 5.14

BANK: 1 SBNK: 5 PROG: 14

7 Likes

Anybody using this combo on a regular basis? How do you find the usabilty of this setup? Iā€™m interested in using this couple together as a very compact setup and always found ND2 could be a very good partner to my DN. Also, I really found it very extremely good sounding and flexible when I had the chance to test it some time ago from a friend.
I ask this because I recognize Iā€™m just used to play two Elektron boxes together just syncing patterns and Iā€™m a little afraid of missing the inmediacy this provides and the possibility of p-locking effects such as reverbā€¦ Iā€™m not a very good friend of multi-instruments complex setups Iā€™m afraid heheā€¦

I will add Iā€™m also looking into Model:Cycles as a lower cost and easier to use alternative but I have the intuition the ND2 is a device worth years of exploring and M:C not so much (ofc I may be wrong about the M:C but it doesnā€™t seems such a deep and flexible device)

The Digitone has only four midi tracks. The Digitakt or OT would offer more sequencing power with the addition of LFOā€™s: the OT with 3 midi LFOs and 10 assignable CCs per midi track. Obviously itā€™s be overkill to get either of those to just sequence the ND3. I donā€™t have one but judging on specs the Beatstep Pro would provide more a lot more flexibility + more hands-on than the DN for sequencing the ND. If youā€™re planning on using a ND in a live setup, Iā€™d choose an ND3 because of the built in fx (send per part)

Could you not just send msb?

The reverb is absolute garbage though.

1 Like

When used in moderation, the room and plate algos, careful color setting, itā€™s fine for live use, to my ear at least.

2 Likes

Would you mind explaining step by step how itā€™s done. Iā€™ve struggled with it to the point where Iā€™m about to give up. I can however, without any hassle, send program changes from the Mpc Live 2 to the NordDrum. Thanks!

Actually, I started using it more and itā€™s alright, to me, for some sounds.

Additional detail since youā€™re stuck:

I assume youā€™ve already managed to send MIDI notes to ND2, so you have the channel properly set. I think the Program Change needs to be set on the Global ND2 channel, not the per-drum ones.

Then on the Digitone track that is sending to the Global ND2, enable with Func+press the BANK knob and set to 1**. Then do the same for SBNK and set to e.g. 5, and PROG to e.g. 14. This should yield a Program Change at the start of the pattern to ND2 5.14

Something that makes it trickier is that DT/DN doesnā€™t always send Program Change*, which makes troubleshooting hard.
Try pressing Stop twice, and then hitting Play, or switching patterns while stopped.

I am using Global (different from the 6 per-drum channels!) channel as 16 on the ND2, and the MIDI track as channel 16 on the Digitone.
Be careful, there is an option in Digitone MIDI settings to turn off sending of Program Changes.

*: AFAICT, it tries to be smart and avoid spamming, so only sends on pattern first start.
**: BANK is not used, but needs to be sent.

This definitely works, tested tonight.

2 Likes