Digitone Mono mode?

Is there a mono mode of some sort on the Digitone? If so how do you activate it? Couldn’t find anything about it in the manual besides a quick mention in the voicing section saying there will be a dot next to the track number if it’s mono.

Go to the voice page (mouth icon). The first parameter, LOCKED VOICES (the E encoder), is where you can limit/force the polyphony for the track. If you’re using unison mode, however many voices you’ve allocated to unison will be required for a mono voice. Otherwise, set it to 1 if you just want plain monophonic mode.

5 Likes

Oh yes! Thank you for the tip!

1 Like

Got it. Thank you!

Last weekend I found it particularly interesting to link a mono voice layered with a polyphonic pad on track 2.
I really love this Unisson menu :smiley:

5 Likes

This way of making mono sounds is a bit weird since mono sounds are not saved as mono (preset). It depends on the track. Probably it would be better if there was a Mono/Poly menu option in Setup.

1 Like

changing voice allocation settings takes but a button press and a twist of an encoder. Why would you want to enforce a voice count limit to a specific sound? What if you’d then want to try out your mono voices as presets for a chord? IMO the current implementation is aight.

3 Likes

Same reason as on any other synth which is making mono sounds like basses, leads and other sounds where you don’t want overlapping notes. On any other synth I have tried, hardware or software the mono configuration is saved with the sound as it should be. Of course it’s no major issue but it means you have to make sure to apply these corrective steps to every bass or mono sound you have made every single time you load it which should really be unnecessary.
Elektron made the Monomachine right? :wink:

4 Likes

yeah but the paradigms of the monomachine are long gone

Would be good for sound locks as well, so a bassline could remain monophonic, while a chord progression on the same channel can be polyphonic :smiley:

2 Likes

In the manual it says:

“At the top left of the screen, you can see what track is selected. A dot next to the trach
number indicates that the sound is in mono”

I tried changing the amt of locked voices (E) to 1 for the track that I wanted to be mono, but for some reason there is no dot next to the track number. When I go to another pattern, one of the sounds appears to be mono. What makes the machine recognize this sound as mono but not the other?

Hmm, not sure. I’ll check this out myself, but as far as I know the only way to “properly” make a track monophonic is to change the locked voices setting to 1 (or equal to the unison number if using unison).

I tried changing a sound on a song I’d already created to mono (locked voices to 1), but it made the entire song mono.

I then started by first making the track that would be mono mono, then added other sounds and it seems to be working fine.

Is there something wrong with the way I did it the first time? Or do I need to know I’m going to have a mono sound before I create a song?

If you set one track to mono the other 3 tracks should of course be unaffected and remain polyphonic. I do this often when I find that my bass sound is not set to 1 locked voice. Try with another pattern and see if it happens there too.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the manual is referring to a missing feature. Like a previous user said, most poly synths have a mono toggle, which has some benefits: One forces only one note to play at a time, like a monosynth, It also allows for fast riffs where you hold down a note and any other notes played will jump back to that note when the key is released. The most famous solo using this technique is probably Emerson Lake & Palmer’s “Lucky Man”, which was probably done on a moog.

1 Like