Digitone MIDI to TB-03, not possible to enable slides in a sequence?

I’ve been playing around with MIDI sequencing on the Digitone to my TB-03 however I haven’t been able to get slides to work from the sequencer. I looked at the MIDI implementation chart and I thought I’d be able to enable them that way via MIDI cc but that doesn’t seem to work. I thought about making the note length longer between notes or between two notes with a rest inbetween but that’s not quite right either.

Does anyone have any experience with both of these and have any advice for me?

1 Like

I thought it was note length.
Just ensure the note is ‘too long’ and it’ll bend up/down into the 2nd note

Otherwise it might need 2 notes on one step.

There’s no actual standard to send portamento information over midi. Maybe this is something that can be implemented in midi 2.0, but I thought its more to do with the synth than the midi.

I don’t own a tb-03 and don’t know how it’s handling the event, but any monosynth I have sequenced with the digitone creates portamento from any overlaps just fine, the same way it would receiving overlaps from any other device.

Seems to work here:

I’ve been able to get it to work by live sequencing thanks to this but I still have no idea how to do it by programming steps manually unfortunately. Thank you for the advice.

I don´t have the TB-03, but as others have said, it´s really just note length.

Play with the note length of the first note starting from 1/16th and choose the first note two octaves lower than the second note (or vice versa), so the note slide will be very obvious.

How is this achieved with OT?

I guess you’ll need two MIDI tracks sending both on the same channel to get overlapping notes.

I guess I wont be using OT to sequence TB 03 then.

Turn on legato in the arp page and adjust note length to overlap with the next note. This should give you a slide. Works on my mb33. No need for two MIDI channels.

4 Likes

Sorry!
Octahedron is right!
You need to turn Legato on the Arp Page to on for the second note and increase note length of the first note.

Dunno why I thought that just increasing note length was enough^^

As soon as the first note is set to a note length that is long enough to reach the second note, it slides.

So for two notes that are 1/8th note apart, set the first note to 1/8th note length and p-lock Legato=on for the second note.

3 Likes

I’ll give it a try, thanks!

There’s no arp page for midi tracks on the Digitone… am I missing something?

No, I was just answering cosmics question on how to sequence it with the OT🙂

2 Likes

It’s an old thread, but the correct answer was never given so I thought I’d post.

The TB-03 is weird. For some bizarre reason you have to overlap the notes AND send CC102 for each slide. This is shown in the MIDI implementation chart in the manual.

Honestly, this implementation sucks. Programming slides is doable, but most other clones just need overlapping notes which is fast and fun. This is especially annoying if you want to make variations to the pattern/slides afterwards.

4 Likes

Thank you for your comment :smiley: it gave me hope that I could sequence the TB-03 from the Digitone properly without waiting for some MIDI Legato update :smiley:

By trial and error, I found all of the settings required for it to sound exactly the same:

Basic note velocity at 99
Basic note length at 0.625
Accented note velocity at 127
Slide by extending the note to 1.75 length and send a value of 127 on CC 102
For some patterns - note before a blank note at 1.5 length and the slide before it at 2.5 length

2 Likes

Is this different to the Syntakt? Or TD-3-MO? On the ST + TD-3-MO, i just had to use note lengths, and got individual slide times. Very cool.

Usually it will create perfect slides every time just by overlapping the notes, but sometimes it won’t and you need to use CC102

1 Like

This implementation does actually have some benefits. If you have a MIDI sequencer like the Oxi One you can “unlink” the mod lane from the note sequence, so you can sequence your slides using CC102 running at a different pattern length and/or time division to the notes creating some cool slide variations. You can also do the same with velocity for accents.

1 Like