Digitone Midi/Realtime Transport Control

I haven’t done tests with the Digitone, but I know on the Rytm if you send it Start / Play it will expect you to send the clock as well…there was no way around that, and no way to simulate the actual hardware pressing of REC / PLAY / STOP

There is currently no way to select the active Track via MIDI

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ll keep messing around but it looks like AR and DN operate similarly wamp wamp. Maybe ill build some robot arms with an arduino and some motors and have it press the buttons for me lol.

Actually… the morningstar foot pedal can send multile types of messages on one push button so I set it up to midiclocktap (msg1) and then realtime start (msg2). That seems to play the digitone immediately. Success!

The cool thing about sending multiple messages at once is that with every press the play head jumps back to zero. Acting like the mpc’s play/start funtionality essentially.

What is midiclocktap? Just one clock tick?

Not exactly sure but this is from the manual…

Midi Clock Tap Tempo

Description

Sends a Midi Clock signal to out from USB and 5 Pin Midi. Syncs your Midi Clock enabled devices to a common BPM.

You can set the tempo in the parameters, and then choose if you want the device to show the tap menu.

If selected, the MC6 will load the tap tempo screen when the preset is activated.

If not selected, the MC6 will send out the Midi Clock messages according to the preset tempo. When another event occurs i.e. a switch is pressed or expression is moved, the Midi Clock messages will stop.

You can read more here: https://morningstar-engineering.github.io/MC6-MKII-Midi-Controller/site/glossary/07-midi-type-glossary/

I should probably add im not endorsed by these folks just a fan of the foot controller

Im gonna keep posting here as im still experimenting w different setups.

I’m noticing that if i have my footpedal connected via 5 pin din, and then i plug a midi host into the usb (link to midi app via iphone), the digitone will ignore realtime messages from the 5 pin din. It will still receive cc’s however if both usb and midi din are plugged into the digitone. Is this a bug or normal behavior?

can I send PLAY midi transport from the MC6 to Digitone?

Yes. If you’re going straight from mc6 to digitone you can use realtime message start and stop. I don’t remember if there’s a realtime message for record and there’s no sysex for that either as far as i know. Refer to @mekohler’s above comment on that. Although there has been some looks into that:
https://github.com/d-huck/libdigitone

I’m sending MMC play from a MC6 midi controller. (as a "real time” command)

the green play button lights up but the sequencer stays on the first step.

any advice?

I assume you mean MIDI stop/start/continue real time messages rather than “MMC”, which is a different protocol.

You also need to send MIDI clock messages from the MC6 to the DN:
https://morningstar-engineering.github.io/MC6-MKII-Midi-Controller/site/glossary/07-midi-type-glossary/#midi-clock-tap-tempo

awesome thanks!!

so there is no way of sending “play in current tempo”?

Not as far as I know (although I don’t have a Digitone to determine whether there is a workaround).

Elektron has tied together the receipt of MIDI clock and transport messages in the Digitone (and Digitakt).

Option 1
Msg 1: Midi Clock Tap Tempo (you can set tempo here automatically or use the option that pops up tap tempo etc)
Msg 2: realtime, start
Play head will start after tempo set

Option 2
Msg 1: realtime start
Play head will start after some arbitrary amount of time but never immediately. I’m guessing the time delay is from the os scrolling thru its clock options but don’t quote me on that.

1 Like

option 2. very interesting. I experienced that but it was too weird to mention

thank you

1 Like

For sure.
I guess option 3 is to not use the digitone as a master clock. #wamp
My current set up uses the mpclive as the master clock. Then i midi merge the mpclive and the mc6 into the digitone (i merge to be able to access the separate midi tracks, mpc doesn’t have a midi thru #wamp).

If i ever find the sysex for play on the digitone ill post here. There’s a couple elektron machines that have implemented midi in the dn way. Id probably start with trying all the sysex we know works for those machines.

Please enlighten me (seriously, not joking):

Could you share which sysex “we know” and the related machines?

MD & MM SysEx is documented in original manuals.

Analog Four (unofficial):

Analog Rytm (unofficial):

1 Like

Sorry, I meant any additional functionalities available on Elektron devices via realtime sysex messages (commands, not data containers).

(because I’m not aware there are any)

Hopefully not misunderstanding your question: there are commands in the SyEx specs but they do not provide any additional functionality over using the controls of the instruments themselves.

1 Like

Guess I’ll need to fetch these old manuals then. Thanx!