Digitone MIDI Loopback -- A performance implementation

Relatively new to the Digitone but not to most other Elektron devices. I’m setting up a new configuration based primarily on the Rytm and the Digitone. I really like the performance macros on the Rytm and using the MIDI Loopback trick, below is my plan.

For each audio track, route its corresponding MIDI track to it (eg, audio T1 set to MIDI channel 1, and MIDI T1 configured to send to channel 1)…then:

1. Use MIDI channel’s primary PB, AT, MW and BC cc’s to control the four associated modulation matrices on the audio channel (eg, MIDI T1 PB controls audio T1 PB matrix). This gives me four modulation macros across up to four different parameters, similar to the Rytm (actually, more similar to the A4).
  2. Use MIDI channel’s eight assignable cc’s (CTRL1 - 8) to control eight audio track parameters. This puts up to eight audio track parameters in one screen (eg, filter cut-off, rez and decay; amp attack/release; chorus, decay and reverb FX).
  3. Use MIDI channel’s notes to create additional trig and note variation. This allow me to program and/or play notes to the MIDI track for additional notes on the audio track…similarly for note values.
  4. Use MIDI channel’s LFO to control one one of the cc’s above in #1 and #2.

Now…I haven’t actually done all of this yet, but it looks like it’s working so far. Does this sound like a reasonable approach to using the MIDI channels for add additional performance capabilities? Anything I shouldn’t be assuming? Anything else that folks have done? Thanks!

5 Likes

Good plan. This setup works for me very effectively - everything you listed.

One more tip, if you like Digitone and Rhytm be MIDI Tempo synced you can use the MIDI Thru as an Out! So Digitone MIDI looped back acting as master and Rhytm as slave.

I use Machinedrum instead of Analog Rhytm. Not synced by MIDI but by ears ala DJ style as both machines have tempo nudge for fine sync.
I use the MIDI sync for DSI Evolver hooked on to the Digitone.

2 Likes

Yes! I do this all time on Syntakt. I tend to use the cc’s only rarely (since they’re absolute values), but the MW/PB/AT/BC are great and make an extra LFO per midi track. On Syntakt it makes sense to group tracks (all percussive / melodic elements addressed on the same midi channel or with just one control), though that may be less useful on DN. I also like to use PB as a bipolar macro parameter, like filter/resonance/decay, by turning the pitch bend value to 0. Happy playing!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve been experimenting with it this weekend and I just discovered what you’re saying about the individual cc’s, and they seem to crash into the values on the audio track…so I’ve kinda laid off them. But the mod matrix seems to be a great avenue to four performance macros per audio track. Great trick for the Syntakt btw…never would have thought to group tracks by assigning the same MIDI channel…brilliant trick!

1 Like