Digitone live performance tips and tricks

Hi everyone,

I’m keen to delve into the Digitone’s live performance functions/abilities. I’m sure everyone knows Ivar Tryti’s performances, they certainly demonstrate so much of what the Digitone can do. But it’s hard sometimes to work out exactly what he’s doing.

I’d be keen to hear what kind of things people do to perform, whether it’s the way they select/mute tracks, stop/start, use LFOs, save/recall, record p-locks, filter sweep, whatever.
Additionally - if anyone has any links to some sort of performance tutorials/breakdowns that would be awesome.

So far, I’ve enjoyed using the delay to add variety and texture, and using the LFO to bring movement and randomness to a sound. But I get a bit stuck on how to stack tracks up and arrange on the fly. Not to mention changing sounds manually as the song progresses. Especially as I can only seem to be able to change one track at a time.

thanks

There are some good tutorials in this thread. Miles Kvndra musics and tutorials almost Digitone only - #9 by MilesKvndra

2 Likes

Don´t forget the control all function. Press and hold the MIDI button to change the parameters and press NO before you release MIDI to revert the parameter changes.

2 Likes

This and using fill to bring new parts in the mix can greatly help progressing a pattern

1 Like

Ah this is brilliant, I’ll have a watch thanks.

• Fade in/out a track with probability trig condition

• Transpose up/down a track

• Change Scale of a track

• Set up pitch bend, mod wheel, breath controller, aftertouch as performance macro and controll this parameters with the DN midi tracks via midi feedback

4 Likes

Good tip. I haven’t explored the ‘control all’ function much. So for example, I hold MIDI and change delay amount in the AMP section, and it will change the delay amount on all tracks?

Yeah I like the fill function, but it takes so long to set up. I’m looking for more responsive, immediate changes that aren’t ‘programmed’, if you know what I mean.

This last one interests me greatly. How would I trigger a mod wheel macro, without the use of an external controller?

I see, one technique to get familiar with should be copying the current pattern to a new slot, move to the new slot to do some changes and then move back to the first pattern.
But yeah except the control all feature and maybe the randomizer, I don’t see lots of “big changes” options that don’t involve some preparation.
I think you should include both options in your process, preparation gives a lot of options, and frees your mind for further improvisation.

2 Likes
  • Multiple patterns with variations and preconfigured pattern mutes to make bigger changes in the arrangement. Both Ivar and Miles build their tracks with this technique.

• Using macro control where possible. For example filter cutoff assigned to modulation wheel for filter sweep. If you do this for all your patterns in the chain you can switch from pattern to pattern without losing actual filter position.

• MIDI tracks with loopback adds a lot of possibilities: extra LFO, extra track. Even generative patches possible. Using multi map with looped back MIDI tracks works almost like an extra drum machine.

• Live edit. You can simply add or remove steps while you are performing. Easy for drum variations. Pattern save/reload makes it safe.

• Using FILL creatively. It is almost like pattern in a pattern. You can lock it and play different pattern while keeping the sound. You can use looped back MIDI tracks if no free steps in the voice pattern.

• Arpeggiator I use almost always. For sound design, for adding complexity, evolving pattern but also good for instant transposing. Have a melody, set the arpeggiator slowest, set the first arp note transposed and leave the rest empty. Switch on/off the arp for instant transpose.

• One shots triggered by multi map. Make riser sounds, or crash cymbal for transitions, arrange in a multi map and manually trigger.

• For 8 step style pattern (repetitive techno) I use a trick that the step length is 16 but the master length is 8. I have 16 steps written but looped at 8. The extra 8 steps I can use as a clipboard and live edit the running steps with copy pastes. With the trig preview it is also possible to manually triggers those extra steps, making one shots.

Most important is practice. The more you are familiar with these techniques the better you can combine them and do attractive performances like Ivar, Miles and others.

8 Likes

Yes.

Setup:

• Connect midi out to midi in

MIDI CONFIG:

• make sure to deactivate clock receive/send, transport receive/send

• Check receive cc/nrpn

• set midi track 1 to midi channel 1 on the SYN 1 page (hold func and push the encoder to activate)

Now you can controll PB, AT, MW on the audio track 1 with SYN 1 page

To controll breath controller (midi cc #2) or any other midi CC parameter (see APPENDIX B in the manual):

• set midi cc you want to controll on the AMP page of midi track 1 with eg encoder A

• select FLTR page and hold func and push encoder A to acitivate.

Now you can control the midi CC value with this encoder.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this amazing post. So much for me to look at here.

I don’t use an external controller. It’s just the Digitone. Do your points 2 and 3 require an external controller? I’ve read that multi map requires a keyboard?

Thank you, this looks awesome. I knew when I bought my Digitone it was deep, and maybe a steep learning curve. I have a lot to get to grips with here.

Multi map works standalone without external controller. However the TRIG keys play a fixed one octave, no octave change is possible. No such limitation with MIDI loop back and a dedicated multi map channel is always available without the need to enter multi map mode manually. One more reason to work with MIDI loop back.
You can still use THRU port as OUT and slave sync other MIDI gear to DN or use MIDI tracks to control external gears instead of internal tracks.