Digitone Level/Data Knob issues?

My Digitone arrived today from Thomann.

Unfortunately I seem to have an issue out of the box ?

The Level/Data Knobs “click” behaviour is super inconsistent…

Clicking the knob to select things sometimes takes multiple clicks to register, or in some cases will jump the cursor up and down a menu when clicked instead of selecting ? I don’t know what is going on but it feels wrong and very annoying.

Tried doing more things to see if this was a case of “its just me” and no it is not sadly, The inconsistency’s I have found make it genuinely more awkward to actually get stuff done on the Digitone.

Ok so going to have to return this to Thomann which is proving to be a huge pain in the ass due to my location.

Will probably be asking for a refund at this point as dealing with Thomann logistically is not going to work out at all.

This also means my Elektron adventure may start and end here in terms of the Digitone due to pricing/stock issues here in the UK.

Mine is inconsistent on the Octatrack, I just figured it was how it is… can be hard to click it takes a couple goes

Id not be accepting of such a thing on something that expensive, at all. Encoders are not that hard a thing to “do” right ?

1 Like

its pretty much the same on all my elektron gear none of them click properly,
think the mk1 versions had a real click to them but after they switched to the new encoders they dont have a good click…
I agree but unfortunately i think its just how they are unless someone can tell me otherwise.
lucky its mainly just for resetting parameters…

Also You don’t need to click it to select things you press yes so clicking the encoders doesn’t get used to often

I never click encoders unless I’m using it to change in preferred value increments. Am I missing out on any key functions or is being used to hitting ‘yes’ a perfect substitute? I’ve always found clicking encoders to jump values not unlike letting a finger off a touch screen. Now, I do wish there was a timer (for both) where if a value hadn’t been changed in say, half a second, that releasing would retain the held value.

I’m on the mk2s I don’t really need to change the increments ever the resolution is good as is,
I just press yes to confirm a selection and no to exit…
And only really click the encoders when clearing a locked step etc

I am kinda shocked tbh, if you have a clicky encoder for whatever reason on your product then it should work reliably… full stop, same goes for any other physical control to.

Well doesn’t bother me if you don’t like it and are going to return it etc,
I was just testing mine because of this, actually it’s just the Octatrack that can be a bit difficult to click.
but I think it could be that im turning the encoders when clicking and it can stop it from resetting and it locks to new value… if I’m super careful it seems to work so in fact could be user error

Elektron gets a lot of things right, but the encoders seem to be an issue (as far as being jumpy/inconsistent) on a lot of their units. If I’m not mistaken, this can be addressed via software updates.

Like I mentioned in my last comment the encoders are very sensitive because of the resolution they have and slightly turning it when trying to click could be the only problem I’m having not sure about the OP

Yeah mine are hard to push too on the DNK and the data knob especially. Also the knobs seem really laggy in general is that normal?

This is not a problem, encoders on the DN and DT are not clickable, you can push it to speed the navigation but they’re not built to click to select something. For that purpose use the yes button.

TIL you can click the data/level knob. I always press yes. I’ve had the DN for more than a year and I just discovered this haha

I do click in on the A encoder to switch the MIDI channel for a MIDI track but that’s really about it.