Digitone Keys USB Audio

I’ve tried to get audio from my Digitone Keys into my computer via USB without success. I can’t install Overbridge because I’m running Windows 8.1 (driver won’t install), but the manual claims USB audio is class compliant and no drivers are needed. Thus I thought that USB audio should still function, but maybe I don’t understand the situation.

Anyway, I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 soon, so I’m hoping the USB audio and Overbridge issues will be resolved. What I am confused about is whether USB audio from the DK is considered to be an ASIO device by a DAW. In other words, can a DAW get USB audio from the DK and still use a separate ASIO audio interface at the same time? That would be ideal, but I suspect it won’t work. Any assistance will be appreciated…

On the Synth - ‘Settings’ - - - ‘System’ - - - ‘USB Config’ - - - USB Audio/Midi.

Bingo!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, but I tried that and I didn’t see any new audio inputs in Reaper. It was a while ago, so I guess I should try it again…

@dee is correct. Once you do that, select your DN as the audio interface and then choose your inputs. Give everything a good restart first.

I believe that in Windows, class compliant devices still need a driver. I’ve not used windows for a while but ASIO4ALL used to have you covered for this situation.
If your OS won’t let you install overbridge (which includes the required drivers) you could give this a try.

On macs, class compliant devices just show up without installing a driver.

1 Like

Thank @DampSquid. That’s an important detail I overlooked.

Thanks for the replies. This may be relevant:

Starting with Windows 10, release 1703, a USB Audio 2.0 driver is shipped with Windows. It is designed to support the USB Audio 2.0 device class.

I’m guessing that’s why it works on Windows 10, but not on Windows 8. ASIO4ALL may be a solution, but I’m upgrading to Windows 10 soon because Windows 8 will no longer be supported at the end of this year.

However, based on what’s been said it would seem that DK USB audio is presented as an ASIO device, so I won’t be able to get audio from DK USB and another ASIO interface at the same time–at least on the same computer. That’s what I was afraid of. It would be great to have access to the individual DK tracks, but then I only have a stereo input for other synths. On the other hand, I can use my Eleven Rack as an interface with 7 inputs (my Audiofire 8 recently died)–but then I would probably use the main outs of the DK and lose the ability to record the individual DK tracks separately. Short of buying a new audio interface (which I can’t afford at the moment) I’ll have go back and forth between DK USB audio and the Eleven Rack to record everything on separate tracks. Oh well…