Digitone Keys or Digitakt plus minilogue xd

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some guidance in whether you would recommend to get as the title states: digitone keys or digitakt plus minilogue xd.

I like to be able to experiment with sounds and I also want to be able to control my guitar looper with midi control as well. I was leaning towards the digitakt plus minilogue xd as i find the workflow to be a little more intuitive with that specific synth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How about Digitone and Keystep Pro? Or Digitakt + Digitone + Keystep

1 Like

I can’t speak for the XD while it does looks really awesome. I had the digitakt when it first came out but sold it shortly after which I regret now. I recently got the digitone keys and absolutely love it. It’s tied to my octatrack and sequences a neutron and crave as well as running a DFAM through it for effects before going to the Octatrack. I’ve gotta say, I didn’t think the user knobs above the keybed would be used much but I reach for them a lot bc of ease of use and can be programmed. The keyboard is also able to be multi mapped so you can make it do some really crazy things. The fm is top notch! My only complaint is that I feel I’m wanting to get the digitakt again bc Digitone has reminded me how easy it is to get things going really quickly. And with the random functions on both now, endless.

I think you’ll be good either way you decide. If not digitone keys if definitely go for digitakt and digitone with a midi keyboard. While not quite the same as digitone keys, it’ll get you there. Good luck sir!

Digitakt + midi controller + retrokits RJ-002 midi cable

Do you mean RK-002?

1 Like

Hey!

I own all three. If I rank them by useage, it would be Minilogue XD, Digitone, Digitakt, because currently I am mostly sequencing with my Deluge. Minilogue and Digitone are more or less used the same.
If I would have to choose only one, I would choose the Digitakt over both others.
I can archive a lot of what the others do with the Digitakt, it just takes a lot more time sometimes. You can do so much with samples in it, and with tons of Single Cycle Waveforms and tons of sampled synths out there, I am sure, you can produce a full album on a Digitakt!

If I would have to choose only two: Digitakt+Digitone is the way to go! If you want to have keys, attach a Keystep to it! The combo totally rocks! You have everything that is possible with the Digitakt and a phenomenal Soundengine in the Digitone. Synced together, they work really great and if you want to attach stuff later on, you have 12 Midi Tracks.

Why not the Minilogue? I love the Minilogue. Its a great Synth, and I use it all the time, because it sounds great and is easy to use, but at the end, most of what I archive there I can archive with the Digitakt and some time too. Single Cycle Waveforms and the Digitakt together with resampling play were well together. Want a fat bass synth? Search for Moog Samples. There are some without unfiltered unmodulated samples out there, that sound amazing with the Filter and FX Section of the Digitakt. And for my opinion: 4 Tracks Digitone with the PLock Functionality outweights the easy to use approach and the accessibility of the Minilogue!

1 Like

That’s it! I didn’t even notice that typo.

Thanks for setting the record straight!

digitakt plus minilogue xd

If you dont already have subtractive analog synths, xd is a great piece to start with. A true desert island synth :heart:

I personally dont consider a digitakt to be a must-have elektron, but again, if you dont yet have other elektrons, and like using samples, its a safe box to start with. Even if you eventually find you would have preferred an OT or rytm instead of it (which I do), you can flip it for a decent price second hand.

the digitakt will be a good sequencer for the minilogue xd as well, and you can route the xd into it for sampling, so synergy benefits aplenty. And the minilogue xd can act as your MIDI keyboard if you set local off.

1 Like

The DT has twice as many MIDI tracks at its disposal than the DN. Not sure how many the Digitone Keys has.
As an owner of both a DT and a DN, I’d have a hard time choosing one over the other…but!.. if I HAD to? DT. For sure. Sample that XD! Sequence it with the DT! Sample records! Sample everything! It’s a very useful instrument and I love it. I love my DN and we will never part, but I figure the DT will be at the heart of my setup for a long long time.