Digitone input noise floor

Yea I was using the meters in my daw. -60 is quite a high noise floor. For example, in a film, when setting the level for BG’s, depending on the environment, they will sit at -60dbfs. Incidental sound effects range from -60 to -6dbfs. Dialogue sits around -24 (ish depending on whispering or yelling). I think both Chiron and I were using Ableton’s track meters to monitor the noise floor. As an example, when I had my Polysix, it’s noise floor was around -74dbfs, and when you would filter it you could hear the noise over the low pass filtered signal. To me that’s pretty unacceptable. Though everyone has their own standards for this kind of thing.

Enjoy the movie!

Havn’t seen the first… gotra change that.

1 Like

I know it’s kind of already stated by other people, but I’m pretty sure inputs over about 50% introduces clipping/distortion/saturation, which would be emphasising the input noise floor.

Hard to say if it’s intentional/by design, but it’s something to be aware of. I like having the extra amplification to push an input, because on the OT I often find it’s the opposite.

It may have changed since the first firmware, which is why some of the presets may be using 100. If you switch to a new patch is defaults to 0.

2 Likes

Does anyone think the Digitone has enough input gain to use with a passive mixer like this one? If so, this would be very useful for me.

I’m thinking the Digitone does, considering this summing mixer needs 30 dB of make up gain, and the Digitone is 20 dB hotter than the Octatrack. I think I’m just going to pull the trigger on this one.