DIgitone has started freezing up and emitting a high pitched squeal

Over the past 2 or 3 days, when running through a set I’ve been working on all summer, my Digitone has suddenly taken to freezing up and emitting a high pitched squeal. At first, it seemed to be when I was changing patterns to quickly in succession, but it just happened again with seemingly no reason. The setup is my iPad, DN, and DT. DN and DT are communicating via MIDI DIN with the DT feeding audio to the DN, and the DN controls the iPad via USB MIDI, while being fed audio from the iPad via USB MIDI.

Any experiences with this that may help out? How much “stuff” going on would overload the DN CPU?

…sounds like some weird interaction via usb AND physical inputs at once…

does ur ipad still has a headphone out…?

if so…try to daisy chain it, soundwise, physically only and use the inputs of the takt to handle it’s audio content…
so u can keep all usb audio out of the equasion…

it’s the safer solution for a live situation for sure…

I’m assuming you are using an app like AUM on the iPad for the audio in?

What OS are you on? I had this problem on 1.30 with my Digitone Keys but 1.31 completely cured it.

It’s been working fine for like 2 months straight. No audio jack, unfortunately.

@Suspect_Frequency yeah, but AUM goes into the DN, the DN doesn’t go into AUM.

@DampSquid I’m on the most recent OS.

This exact issue happened on my DN a year or two ago, not routed through any interface and just DIN synced to a drum machine. It would always happen when changing patterns in succession. I was able to exchange it for a new one and the problem didn’t repeat (although it developed a bad display issue that Elektron fixed for free and I sold it eventually). This, plus some other issues, is why I eventually divested myself all my Elektron gear.

I’ve had this same freeze 3 times while switching out arp sounds. Support said that there is a known arp bug so I’ve put it down to that for now.

I even had it affect the reboot process (some buttons & the screen failing to light up).

I used to have a digitone that did this occasionally. Changing projects seemed to stop it and I felt like it was related to the arp, but never really put my finger on what went on.

After a while it just stopped happening, no os updates, just stopped happening, so I assumed it was either midi related and i’d changed midi routings or, like I said, something to do with the arp maybe.

1 Like

Could it be that you ran into this series of bugs? If so I have been in contact with elektron and they have confirmed all of them to be bugs and are working on a fix.

@Fin25 you would be correct in your feeling that the arp is bugged in certain situations :slight_smile:

2 Likes